Chapter Three

A/N: Please play the video for a better reading experience. Use your earphones :)

"Vanessa Emerald Point of View"

Feeling really tired, I sprawl out on the bed. Finally got all my stuff sorted. Glancing at my wristwatch, it's 3:04 in the afternoon. I just remembered there's a welcome event the school is hosting later at 6 pm in the function hall. Obviously, I've got to be there since I'm one of the university's scholars.

OMG! Looks like I might have forgotten the dress that I should be wearing for later's event?!

I quickly rose from the bed and made my way to the dresser. I glanced over my clothes to see if any of them would work for later when H suddenly walked into the room. I observed her as she carried a small plastic container filled with mango graham. She sat at the edge of her bed, staring at me. I simply brushed it off and kept searching for clothes to wear later.

"Ah, pupunta ka sa pa-welcome event ng school? Hindi mo naman kailangan mag formal dress talaga, it's just a small gathering for scholars alone. Kakain lang kayo ng dinner with the University's President and his wife."

"Ah, sige, salamat" sabi ko and finally nakakita na ako ng casual dress na pwede kong suutin mamaya.

"Wag mo nalang kakainin 'yung e-se-serve nilang steak, Vanessa" dagdag niya pa at napalingon ako sa kanya ulit.

"Huh? Bakit naman?"

"Well," she shrugs her shoulders, "you wouldn't want to know." Then, she took a bite of the mango float.

"Bakit naman? Pero, alam mo, hindi pa ako nakapag-try ng steak buong buhay ko. I'd really want to try the beef steak, though. Wait! Pa'no mo bang nalalaman 'to, H? Scholar ka rin?" Upon asking that question, I noticed an abrupt shift in her mood. She halted mid-bite, her gaze drifting away. The sudden change in her mood left me with the impression that I might have said something wrong.

"Well, I had a girlfriend. She's my, roomate too," I felt the pain and longing in her voice.

"Oh, really? Scholar ba siya dito? What's her name if you don't mind me asking?"

"Her name's Maliya." Upon mentioning the name, I noticed a glistening tear on her cheek, which she quickly wiped away. "Yes, naging scholar din siya dito."

Tumango-tango ako, "grumadweyt na ba siya?"

She bitterly smile at me, "No. But, I don't wanna talk about her anymore."

"Ah, okay." Nasabi ko nalang din at ibinalik ang atensyon ko sa damit na napili ko. Mukhang masyadong malalim ang pinagdadaanan ni H, siguro, nagbreak na sila nung Maliya?

Hmmm. I think I'll just pair this dress with white sneakers since nabanggit naman ni H na hindi masyadong formal ang event mamaya.

I dozed off for about two hours before deciding to get up from bed. I spent almost 20 minutes in the bathroom, then I proceeded to dress and fix myself up. H is now asleep in her bed.

Eventually, I opted for a white eyelet coords outfit and paired it with white sneakers. I chose to leave my hair down for today's event, and it was exactly 5:39 pm when I left the room.

I hurriedly made my way to the campus function hall, and thankfully, I arrived just before 6 pm. As I entered, I couldn't help but feel a bit bewildered by the ambiance of the place.