Chapter 5- Change

Quick note: This chapter is 17126 words long. The next chapter is shorter. I hope and pray that I don't allow myself to write a chapter so long that I have to cut it in two halves when one of the halves is this long again. I need a lobotomy.

-Mashiro's POV-

Tsukinomori Academy, a prestigious school with over a hundred years of history.

If there was a word that could describe Tsukinomori Academy, it would be abnormal. The students here are the best of the best, some coming from rich families, while others have won various awards. Countless students from schools all over the country dream of coming here. Many apply, but few succeed to get in. The halls of this school have seen some of the brightest minds of multiple generations pass through.

And then there's me. Sitting alone, like always. My name is Mashiro Kurata, and I'm just an average student lost in this sea of extraordinary talent. No grand achievements to my name, no exceptional skills, or prodigious talents. I thought that by coming to a school like this, I could find something special about myself. But now I just feel more alone and talentless than before.

As my class talk amongst their cliques, I glance over the assignment due next week one more time to make myself look busy as I wait for the bell to dismiss us

Capture a narrative or convey a specific theme through a series of photographs, then write about the story captured in each image. And I swear, I've handed out this assignment for years now; if one more student just takes photos of them in the hallways at this school, I'm going to personally throw them out the window.

Even the basic assignments here feel overwhelming. My self deprecating thoughts are interrupted by the ringing of a bell, and I hastily rise from my seat. Right now, there is nothing I want more than to be at home. As I traverse through the busy halls, the thoughts of inadequacy don't stop.

Even as the students pour out of the school and I gaze out the window of the hallway, I see that I'm surrounded by people who have accomplished way more than I have, or come from prosperous families, even those from the middle school. I spot Sakiko Togawa, whose father is famous for his scientific breakthroughs, speaking with Mutsumi Wakaba, both of her parents are famous in the entertainment industry. Even at home, I'm world's apart from the rest of the students here.

"Kurata-san, are you feeling alright?"