Chapter 8- Death in the Family

"Don't frown! You did amazing!" Hagumi tries to reassure me.

I rest with my hands on my knees trying not to throw up. After all that, I feel like death.

"Did I?" I ask.

"Fufu~ you certainly surpassed my expectations, young knight."

I recognize that voice instantly.

I look up and see a figure standing before us. It's none other than the Happy Phantom Thief. She had approached so silently that her appearance caught me off guard. Now that I think about it... she shares a lot of similarities with Kaoru. She's got the same hair color, height, ruby eyes, and even a similar manner of speech...

Nah, Kaoru wouldn't pull off something like this.

"Woah!" Hagumi exclaims. "Ms. Phantom Thief? When did you get here?"

"Oh, I've been observing the entire time. I couldn't miss the opportunity to witness our knight in action."

She was watching us? Then why didn't she just train me herself? I get the feeling that she would be a better fit. She has broken into many places considered impenetrable.

"Let us be, Hagumi." She nods at Hagumi. "I have something of utmost important I must disclose to our noble knight here in private."

"Of course! And don't forget to stop by Kitazawa Meats!" Hagumi adds before darting off. She can still run after all that? I really am out of shape.

"You did well, but before your next training session, I have a favor to ask of you." The Happy Phantom Thief extends her hand. I accept, allowing her to pull me to my feet

For some reason I feel like I'm not going to like what she's going to say. This is just going to be a repeat of how training went last weekend, isn't it? I finally feel as though I can relax, then at the last second get forced into a life-or-death situation.

"What is the request?"

"I happen to know about the inner machinations of Tsurumaki Tech. Your mother is a cog in Tsurumaki's machine, is she not?"

My mom's work? What does this have to do with anything?

"She is..."

"And are you aware of the work she does?"

She never talks about work, so...

"Not really."

"Your mother is involved in two highly classified projects. I need you to gather information about them for me." From her pocket, she retrieves a thumb drive and flicks it toward me. I just barely manage to catch it. "I would assume your mother stores some data about these projects on a computer at your home. I want you to download any relevant information you can find and bring it back to me."

"Wait, I have no clue what you're even asking for." I protest. "And I have no clue if I'd even be able to get any information for you."

"Very well, I shall explain it to you. All of Tokyo, no, possibly the entire world is in danger, and you are the key to preventing it."

"Wait, hold on! You can't just say something like that! Y-you're just exaggerating... right? There's no way that what you said is true!"

I silently pray that she's just exaggerating.

"Allow me to explain, and all will be clear." She dramatically strikes a pose before she begins her monologue. "Perhaps you're familiar with the tale of superheroes disappearing into the night? Well, Tsurumaki Tech is the culprit behind that."

I feel like that should be surprising, but after all I've been through, it's not that big of a shock.

"Your mother and Dr. Togawa have been involved in creating self-aware robots they refer to as 'hunters'. These robots are designed to conduct scans of individuals, enabling them to identify those with the genetic markers associated with superhuman abilities. If they determine a person has powers, well..." She trails off. "That's not important."