Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Poseidon's POV of Chapter One

I couldn't help but smile widely down at my son as he accepted his reward for saving us all once more.

My smile turned softer as I heard Zeus call out to my only demigod daughter. I turned my gaze onto her startled form as she straightened from where she had been watching it all and stood shocked for but a moment before she moved forward to stand in front of Zeus, not even looking my way once.

My smile dimmed as I observed her. I loved all of my children, I truly do but I do know that I'm not as close to Anthea as I am with my sons, I'll admit. Hopefully now that Father and Gaea are defeated, I may be able to change that.

"Anthea Gallagher, you stand before the Council to be rewarded for not only your efforts in the war against Gaea, but also without you, Nico wouldn't have survived and without the two of you, the war between the Romans and Greeks would have had catastrophic consequences to the mythological world and the human world. As such, we have called you forth to grant you your boon." Zeus boomed out. I had to hide my wince at his volume, really had the drama king never heard of inside voice? My eyes that I knew were mirrored in Anthea's were locked onto her as she thought.

"Lord Zeus, I appreciate the council granting me a boon. I honestly hadn't expected to so forgive me if this isn't thought out very well." Zeus's eyebrows went up at her respectful tone, mine did too. I, and I'm sure the others, had expected her to act a bit like myself and Percy. But I could tell she balanced us out well with the calmness of the sea. "I have a two-part request, but I feel too embarrassed to say it out loud. May I approach or write it down?" he raised an eyebrow but with a snap of his fingers, a piece of paper and a pen appeared in her hands. "Thank you, Lord Zeus."

I leaned forward, curious to know what exactly she was writing. We didn't have to wait long as she wrote quickly. She rose to her feet and placed the paper and pen in Zeus's hand before returning to her previous spot. I once more try to catch her gaze but she keeps her focus laser like on Zeus.

"You have done much for us, much more than most realize. As such, I shall grant your two requests. By the time that you return home, everything shall be done."

"Thank you, Lord and Uncle!"

"You are dismissed."

Now I am very curious to find out what she requested but as I listened absentmindedly to my brother drone on and on, I noticed Anthea slip away from Percy and towards the doors of the council room. In a blink I was beside her, reaching down and picking up her ever present backpack before she could. She jerked her head up and met my eyes with narrowed ones.

I don't know what I've ever done to her to earn such a look but hopefully I can get her to forgive me for any oversight I've caused.

"Can I have my bag back, please?" She asked politely.

"Anthea..." I trailed off, my sea green eyes locking onto hers. I didn't know what to say. She is just like her mother, always getting me tongue tied.

"Yes?"

I just sighed and handed her the bag. "Would you like me to transport you to Chicago?"

She rolled her eyes at me.

"Father, we both know that is not what you really wanted to ask."

I scoffed lightly as I began to lead the way through Olympus slowly. "Your mother would never let me get away with anything either. How is she?" I asked genuinely.

Immediately I could tell that I said the worst thing I could've said.

"Are you being serious right now?" She demanded, the two of us pausing by a fountain as she basically stabbed my with her eyes.

"What?" I asked with a tilt to my head.

"By the gods! Just stop okay. I know that I and my mom aren't important to you, not like Percy and Sally, not like I'm sure your previous sons and their mothers."

"Whoa, I never said you weren't important." I protested, his eyes wide and earnest. "I've loved, and love, all of my children equally even if they don't see that."

She scoffs. "If that were true, Lord Poseidon, you would know that my mom and my actual dad died ten years ago. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm heading home. Please don't contact me again."

I stand frozen as I watch my only daughter walk away from me, knowing that I had failed her and her mother, deeply. I had to make this right, had to make her understand.

"Dad, don't," Percy said, making me stop as I had taken one step already to follow Anthea. I could only watch as Percy stepped in between my daughter and I as if that could stop me. But it gave enough time for Anthea to enter the elevator and to descend into the mortal world.

"Why did you stop me?"

"Because in her mind, you not knowing about her mother just proved one of her biggest fears about you."

"And that is?" I growl out.

"That you don't love her, that you don't care about her."

I froze.

"That's not true! I love all of you!" I said as I got over my shock.

Percy nodded in understanding.

"I know that, Tyson knows that, and I'm sure Triton knows that. But Anthea... she doesn't know that. She once told me that she envied how much I've interacted with you, that she could count on one hand how many conversations she and you have had over the years. Her mom and stepfather died years ago, I also don't believe her living situation is the greatest. And probably when she learned that her father was a god, one of the Big Three, only for him to not seem to what anything to do with her, that probably broke her a bit... and you not knowing about her mother, when you knew about my mom during my first quest, probably broke any hopes she had in you being a father to her."

I bow my head as I think over his words and couldn't help the ache that formed in my heart at the thought of my youngest and only daughter thinking that I didn't care a bit for her.

Our conversation was put on hold as the rest of the demigods appeared laughing as they began to trickle out of Olympus.

"Just think about what I said, okay, Dad? Maybe give her some space. I'll IM her in a couple of weeks, see what her thoughts are."

I only nodded as I watched him leave with the others before I sigh and reappeared on my throne. I noticed when I returned only Hades, Zeus, and myself were now left.

"What did Anthea request?" Hades asked, a little bit of affection appearing in his voice. I snap my eyes to him only to see him not paying me a lick of attention.

Zeus flicked copies of Anthea's requests to us and I felt the ache in my chest send a pang through me.

"Go above and beyond, brother, anything you need, take from my accounts... do not let her know it is from me." Without giving either of my brothers time to respond, I flashed away to Atlantis.

I needed space. I needed time. I needed to make up to my daughter.