四 [the caterpillar]

chapter four

IT HADBEEN EIGHT YEARS SINCE KIRA HAD BEEN ANYWHERE BEYOND THIS MANSION.

The west wing, the east wing, the gymnasium, the library. This was all she had ever known since she arrived. She wanted more. However, it must have been the one thing she was afraid to ask. Could she even leave? She wanted to see all the beautiful things that the world had to offer, but even the mere suggestion had Konstantin fall into a bitter mood for the rest of the day. So, she avoided the topic completely.

Then, came one afternoon.

Perhaps it was fate for these two souls to meet.

Kira attacked Gregor, a burly man thrice her size and a hundred times her strength. She rolled on the mat, got onto her knees, and looked up.

That was when he walked into the gym.

He strode in with a charming smile, pearly white teeth, a gorgeous golden mane, and spectacularly startling moss-green eyes.

She was so distracted by his large presence that she didn't see Gregor swipe her off her feet until it was too late. She yelped, toppling backward onto the mat. She groaned but noticed the curious gazes of others land upon her. Her pain was silenced as her cheeks burned.

She scowled and everyone returned to what they were doing.

"Ow!" she hissed to Gregor.

He shrugged, unbothered. "Stop staring at the pretty boy."

Her Russian had drastically improved over the years, especially with Gregor's help. Pushing herself back onto her feet, she responded in Russian, "I wasn't staring at him."

Gregor raised a brow, unconvinced. "You were."

Kira's frown deepened. "Who is he?"

Gregor glanced over and she followed his gaze. The boy, who looked at least two years older than her, laughed. His friend said something, and he laughed again. Kira felt like someone shot her in the chest. She gasped. His smile was so refreshing. Like stepping out of a prison and breathing in the open, clean air. Like touching new books. Like someone who had never known pain. Her eyes caressed his frame. A towel was slung over his shoulders, a tank top revealing his broad shoulders and joggers loosely hung on his pelvis – a body of lean perfection. He looked like a dream.

She blinked just to make sure she wasn't dreaming.

"New recruit," Gregor answered, grabbing his water bottle. He caught Kira's obvious ogling. He smirked. "Do you like him?"

Kira looked scandalized. "No!"

"Yes, you do," he sang, teasingly. "Kira has a cruuussshhh."

"Now you choose to speak in English?" she sulked, grabbing her bottle.

He grinned. "How will you learn true Russian if you don't hear it?"

"I hate you," Kira snapped and stormed away, ignoring the sound of his laughter echoing behind her.

Before dinner, Kira would visit Konstantin for her daily lessons in whatever he chose to teach her today. Whilst she waited to be summoned, she spent the time in her library. She traced the spines of books older than her. This library was hers and hers alone.

It was the one place she could truly be safe in the entire mansion.

It was the only place she could truly be herself.

And it had been invaded.

She saw him before he saw her.

Between the cracks of the bookshelves, she caught him hunched over the desk. His eyes scanned and his fingers turned the pages with rapt attention. His shaggy blonde hair covered his brow, making him look most untidy, in contrast to his pristine appearance in the gym. Kira moved with swift ease. Her footsteps barely touched the ground. Her back pressed against the wooden furniture frames. She inched closer, like a lion to a deer.