CHAPTER TWO

A wave of laughter engulfed Jade, her mirth intensifying as she realized that Hanzo had been completely oblivious to the examiner's instructions prior to them running.

As Hisoka dashed forward, a mischievous glint sparkled in his eyes, mirroring the joy that radiated from Jade's contagious laughter. To him, the sound of her mirth was like a precious gem, a treasure that held the ability to illuminate the darkest corners of his existence. It was a melody that resonated with his very being, infusing his spirit with an overwhelming sense of elation and contentment.

As Hisoka's thoughts drifted, they inevitably landed on that fateful day when he crossed paths with her. The recollection of Jades' infectious laughter reverberated through his mind, a melody that instantly ensnared his heart. It was a moment that etched itself into his soul, forever imprinted with the magic of their first encounter.

At the tender age of ten, Jade found herself living in an orphanage with no family to call her own and had already discovered her Nen ability that allowed her to manipulate people. In a remarkable display of her Nen prowess, she cunningly deceived the woman responsible for the orphanage. Employing a shrewd maneuver, Jade skillfully manipulated the woman's perception, convincing her that she had ventured far down the road.

Little did she know, it wasn't actually Jade she was chasing, but her uncanny doppelganger. Initially, Hisoka found it quite amusing, but what truly intrigued him was the abrupt end to her laughter. It was as if her joy had been cruelly snatched away, compelling her to hastily flee in the opposite direction of the woman.

Eventually, Jade's stamina reached its limit, and she was completely exhausted. Her body was drained, leaving her with no energy to continue. It was in this vulnerable state when Hisoka saw his chance.

With his usual sly charm, Hisoka decided to not only praise Jade's incredible speed but also inquire about the reason behind her desperate attempt to escape from the woman. It was as if her very life depended on it. His inquisitiveness was instantly sparked, and he found himself unable to resist pondering over what could push her to resort to such drastic actions.

Jade's smile remained polite as Hisoka showered her with compliments. Little did Hisoka know it would take years for him to discover the truth.

Jade had been eluding that woman at every moment possible. her constant evasion was not a mere act of paranoia; it was a desperate attempt to escape the horrifying reality that haunted her every waking moment. The woman in charge of the orphanage was responsible for the demise of many children above the age of ten within its walls, and Jade happened to be her next intended victim. 

This secret weighed heavily on Jade's conscience, but she never let it show. Unyielding in her resolve, she concealed her apprehension and aversion, fully committed to safeguarding herself and those around her.

Disregarding the thought, Hisoka banished it from his mind, determined to stay focused on his objective of reaching the tunnel's end. Two hours had passed since they started running, and Hisoka could only speculate that they were now halfway through the seemingly endless tunnel. It was difficult to gauge their progress, but the examiner had made it clear to the inattentive participants that he couldn't disclose any information about their destination or the remaining distance.

Jade was almost asleep, her head resting on Hisoka's shoulder when a sudden commotion nearby jolted her awake. Her curiosity piqued when she noticed a young boy clutching a laptop in his hands, looking exhausted as he struggled to stay on his feet. He seemed to run out of stamina and collapsed in front of them. Briefly captivated by the intrigue, Jade's ears perked up as she unintentionally eavesdropped on snippets of the conversation that centered around a certain boy named Nicholas.