Chapter 2: The Unknown

Just an hour later Cassidy came back to her cozy apartment. As she entered the kitchen, she put down the bags of groceries she had picked up on her way home. Determined to cure the effects of the last night's hangover, she decided to make herself some chicken soup. She felt her body needed a good nutritious meal.

Once the girl unpacked the vegetables, she began peeling them, filling the countertop with vibrant colours of chopped carrots, leek and celery. As the chicken in the pot seemed ready, Cassidy added the vegetables, filling the kitchen with the scent of a homemade cure.

„Chicken soup will be perfect for a hangover" – she thought to herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Water in the pot was already becoming to look like soup and delicious smell was spreading around the whole apartment. Cassidy was in the middle of cleaning the mess she had made while preparing for the party the night before. As she shifted through unfolded clothes lying on the floor, her phone buzzed. She put down a skirt she was holding, and moved to the desk where the device was placed. When she noticed the SMS notification popping up, the memory of Emily warning her about a strange text surfaced, but curiosity overcame caution, and a subtle smile played on her lips.

Holding the phone in her hand, she unlocked it to find the mysterious message waiting. She hesitated only for a moment before replying. Her eyes sparkling as she typed a response, her fingers dancing all over the phone screen with a mix of anticipation and nervousness. Once she hit the send button, a sense of excitement reached her, and she couldn't help but wonder where this conversation might lead.

UNKNOWN: Hi! It's me again, don't block me, please.

CASSIDY: How did u reach me again?

UNKNOWN: That was simple. I'm not a creep, I promise! Haven't you head of the saying "You get a treat if you listen to older men?"

CASSIDY: No .-.

UKNOWN: I'm sorry, stupid joke. Will hearing me make you trust me more?

CASSIDY: I'm not sure.

UNKNOWN: Let me call you then!

Right after she read the message her phone started ringing. Her eyes widened and her heart started pounding much faster than it had been before, conflicting emotions showing in her trembling hand. Lost in her thoughts, Cassidy came back to her senses just when the phone went quiet.

- No, no, no – she saddened and quickly scrolled through her call history, hoping there would be a trace of the mysterious number she could call back. To her surprise there was no record of the missed call. Her eyelids dropped as she let out a heavy breath of resignation, when the phone went off with another round of ringing. This time she answered right away, she would have been so angry if she missed this opportunity again.

***

- Oh you picked up! – she heard from the other side of the phone. - I had a feeling you would. Hi! How about now? How do I sound? – said a stranger in a pleasant voice.
- Uh.. hi – answered hesitatingly Cassidy. - You sound nice.
- See! I like your voice too – laughed the boy. - You probably think I'm odd.. I am a bit odd to be honest. But isn't it a miracle? Two complete strangers connected. I found a phone and you were the only one on the phone list.
- That's strange.. – muttered the girl. Her stress slowly fading away, while listening to a calming, friendly voice of the unknown. - Where exactly are you?
- Abroad for some business. Will be back soon and I promise I'll make it up to you! How about we go out for a coffee once I'm back? – Cassidy's breaths quickened at the offer. The excitement rising in her as chills were going through her whole body. The thoughts of going out with the stranger made all her previous worries fade into oblivion.
- Sounds interesting – she answered taking another deep breath while trying to sound as calm as possible.
- You sound like a very cute girl. I'm sure I won't regret it – said confidently the stranger.
- Thank you – her mouth curved into a smile as she was toying with a lock of her blonde hair. - Uh.. sorry for earlier, it was my friend texting you. She was worried and didn't want me to get involved in anything suspicious – Cass changed the subject trying to explain herself and make good impression on the caller.
- Understandable. No worries. Also, take a look at the picture I've just sent you. It's me – giggled the guy. – Maybe if you see my face you'll realise I'm not dangerous.