[Chapter 2] Smells Like Teen Spirit

★ ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ: sᴍᴇʟʟs ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴛᴇᴇɴ sᴘɪʀɪᴛ ★
† ɴɪʀᴠᴀɴᴀ †
────────⚪────────
◄◄⠀▐▐ ⠀►►
0:00 / 0:00 ───○ 🔊⠀ ᴴᴰ ⚙ ❐ ⮎1⮌

"ᴏᴜʀ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ɢʀᴏᴜᴘ ʜᴀs ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ᴡɪʟʟ ᴜɴᴛɪʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɴᴅ"

Cw: descriptions of slight paranoia (?)
(This is just me projecting)
__________________________________

Sal gasped heavily as he jolted awake. He brought his shaking hand up to his chest as he attempted to slow his breathing. He closed his eyes as he started to calm himself.

He looked at the time. 3:36 am. His room was dark, it was too dark. He didn't dare get out of bed. He was afraid. He was afraid of something jumping out at him, knowing that anything could be hiding in the darkest corners of the room.

He couldn't see Gizmo's bed from where he was positioned, so he had no idea if the orange cat was with him or not. If he was alone or not. He stared at his slightly opened closet, just imagining a distorted figure hiding, waiting. He knew there was nothing there, but the anxiety wouldn't stop.

There wasn't any use in trying to fall back asleep. The nightmare had woken him up. He looked over to the walkie talkie that lay next to his prosthetic. Maybe Larry's up, it would be a nice distraction. He waited a few moments for no particular reason before grabbing it.

"Hey Larry Face, you up?"

Sal waited, then waited some more, hope slowly draining. He wasn't going to try again, he didn't want to wake his friend up. Instead he curled up with a pillow, felling somewhat protected by the comforters.

He just laid there, the only noises he could hear was his own breathing and his dad snoring in the living room.

It felt like an eternity, though in reality it was about an hour or so, before Sal finally got the courage to stand up and run to the light switch, letting out a sigh of relief once it was on. Though the feeling lingered, he felt better now that he could see.

Gizmo let out an annoyed hiss when the lights turned on. He walked out from his bed to glare at Sal. "Whoops- sorry Giz." He whispered.

Gizmo flicked his tail before walking up to Sal, giving his leg a light headbutt. Sal picked up the cat and sat back down on top of his lap.

_____†★†_____

It was another couple hours before he got up once again, morning sunlight peered through the windows. Henry was passed out on the couch, Jack Daniel's bottles scattered across the coffee table. Sal sighed, picking up the bottles to throw them away, before starting on breakfast, settling on french toast. He made sure to be quiet, not wanting to be yelled at.

After he finished eating he kept a plate on the counter for when Henry woke up, then cought up on the dishes.

The bluenette walked into the restroom and took a moment to stare in the mirror. Stare at his mangled face, he barely recognized himself, despite living half his life with this face, or at least what's left of it.

A gaping hole in his left cheek revealed about half his shattered jaw, drool dribbled out of it. the remaining skin around the hole was pushed up to the side and molded to his deformed skull. scars spider webbed his entire face, his left eye non-existent. It wasn't exactly the prettiest sight.

He just tried his best to ignore it as he brushed his teeth and pulled his hair back into the signature messy pigtails.

_____★†★_____

Sal ran as fast as his legs would carry him, Larry closing in quickly from behind. Todd and Ashley watch the two race to the lake.

"I WIN!" Larry threw his arms into the air after touching the tree trunk. Sal followed after, breathing heavily under his mask. He slipped a finger under it, allowing better airflow.

"Yeah, yeah. I can see, I still have one eye." Sal said as he playfully pushed Larry, who returned the action.

The two boys were probably as close as two people could platonically get. Larry was Sal's first real friend in years and the two were practically attached by the hip ever since they met. The entire group was like a family. They looked out for each other when most others wouldn't.

Lake Windigo was a place they frequented. Most of the time it was empty, except for the occasional fishers. It's was a secluded place, it would be easy to sneak cigarettes or drinks without getting caught.

Ashley laid back and sprawled out on the grass while letting out a long sigh. She had long Brunette hair, light makeup and emerald green eyes. She had a Polaroid camera hung around her neck, a denim pouch slung over her shoulder and probably fifty bracelets. She was the mother of the group, making sure nobody ended up getting themselves killed. She tried her best to be there for her friends when they needed her.

Todd sat down not too far from her, holding a book of cryptids. He looked like your stereotypical nerd, he had curly ginger hair, round black glasses and a nalsily voice. He was more reserved than the rest of the group. He didn't talk much unless it was about something he was interested in.

They always enjoyed hanging out at the lake, splashing around in the water, pointing out any kind of movement that might indicate a fish.

Larry was usually the first in the water, kicking of his shoes and socks and throwing his pack of cigarettes to the side before running into the water and unltamently tripping when he got in deep enough. Sal and Ashley followed behind.

_____†★†____

The sun was starting to lower behind the horizon, the group started packing up, wrapping themselves in towels.

Ashley admired the last photo she took. She was in front, holding the camera, Larry had Sal hoisted on his back, and Todd sat there, smiling awkwardly.

Pictures can hold a moment in time, allowing you to look back on bittersweet memories that have since long passed. Looking back at them can send you back, even if just for a few seconds, to a time where everything felt perfect, where everything was perfect for a moment, before the realization that you could never truly go back to what once was.

__________________________________

1068 words

Sorry this took so long, my motivation is shit.

Anyways, watcha think? I feel like my writing can be too fast paced at times.

Remember to drink water and take any meds you may need

See you on the other side of oblivion