Causes

Genetics:
ADHD exhibits a strong familial pattern, emphasizing the role of inherited genes in its development. Extensive research highlights an increased risk for parents and siblings of individuals with ADHD, showcasing a complex inheritance pattern involving multiple genes. While the precise genetic mechanisms are still under exploration, the familial clustering of ADHD underscores the significance of genetic factors in shaping susceptibility.

Brain Function and Structure:
Scientific investigations reveal potential disparities in brain function and structure among individuals with ADHD compared to those without. Studies, often involving brain imaging techniques, suggest variations in the size of specific brain regions. Despite these findings, the full implications of these structural differences and their connection to imbalances in neurotransmitters remain an area of ongoing research, demanding a deeper understanding of the neurological underpinnings of ADHD.

Groups at Risk:
Certain individuals exhibit a heightened susceptibility to ADHD, presenting additional risk factors beyond genetic predisposition. Those born prematurely or with a low birth weight are identified as more vulnerable. Moreover, individuals with epilepsy or a history of brain damage, whether occurring prenatally or resulting from severe head injuries later in life, are at an increased risk of developing ADHD. Recognizing these specific risk groups provides valuable insights into the diverse factors contributing to ADHD and underscores the importance of tailored preventive measures and interventions within these populations.