75. The Long Reach Of "Loyalty"

If there is anyone who sees, these:

" "

And Wonder why they look diffrent in some places, that is becuase I wrote these scenes in Google forms before I put them here and it happens automaticly. (I am also too lazy to fix it) so I hope it dosen't annoy too much.

This is a long chapter guys, brace yourselfs😊

In one of the darkest of nights, Lord Larys, Ser Criston Cole, and Ser Otto Hightower sat with Alicent in her royal apartments and sat quietly around the round table. careful to keep their voices low and their conversations discreet.

Her eyes danced over the fire in the fireplace and she felt a little nervous about where this conversation would go. She studied the men sitting before her and was aware of the plan at hand, but her feelings were divided on the situation. For the realm... She thought to herself, reminding herself of the consequences that could follow if Rhaenyra took the throne.

Alicent was aware of Viserys's condition and how it worsened by the day, knowing full well that he was too delirious from the milk of the poppy to properly understand the gravity of the situation. However, she still hesitated.

What if he were to recover?

For the good of the realm...

for the sake of my children...

Her inner thoughts were interrupted and her attention went to Larys who spoke up confidently, seemingly without a hint of doubt in his tone while filling his cup and taking a grape in his hand.

"My Queen , surely you must realize that Prince Aegon would be a more... acceptable ruler."

Alicent considered the man's words carefully and did not reply immediately. Be that as it may, Aegon may be a better option, not to mention her and her children's positions in the court. She would rather be the dowager queen as the mother of the king rather than the dowager queen without power in a court ruled by her husband's daughter and her former friend. But her feelings were still divided.

Alicent had had such a conversation with her father many times and it had gnawed at her mind for so long. If Rhaenyra would come into power, all of her children's lives would be forfeit.

Otto, in his usual calculated manner, spoke up next when Alicent had kept quiet, twas her they needed to convince, and she was afraid that it would work. "The people will not accept a woman on the iron throne, Alicent. And they will never support a bastard as heir. The crown belongs to Aegon by right and by logici. He has three legitimate children and will no doubt have more, Rhaenyra has three bastards."

For some reason it irked her to think of it, "Alyssa is no bastard, father"

"Rhaenyra would not have her as her heir when she is Aegon's Queen"

Seeing Criston Cole cut into the conversation from the table. "Regardless of whether the people would accept Rhaenyra as queen, they would never let two women in a row sit the iron throne. That would cause a riot."

Alicent stared at him blankly for his little input, but there was truth in what he said. Tension grew in her thumb and she suddenly felt uncomfortable talking about this so soon. "My husband is still not dead, We should not discuss this so soon for if someone hears it will be considered as treason"

She tried anything just to put an end to this conversation. She saw Lord Larys shake his head, dismissive of her concern.
"No, it is a matter of necessity, my Queen... " he paused for a brief moment to choose his words carefully, "...Rhaenyra would seize the throne the moment Viserys passed, and the realm will fall into chaos. It is best that we act while we still have time."