One

What exactly are nightmares?  Sure, your 'science' can try to explain them as a part of the subconscious, but is that really all they are? You of all humans should know better than that. Such easy lies you choose to believe in for the sake of sanity. It makes sense I suppose. You want to live a simple life where you don't have to face those monsters that supposedly live in your head. Well, guess what sunshine? I'm right here in front of you.

Aw, what's with that face? I know others might have, but I won't hurt you.

So stop running away from me.

You're a clever little thing, but I will always catch you.

You are fading.

How unfortunate.

I was looking forward to having a chat with you.

Oh well.

We will meet again soon.

Wake up now.

Wake up.

Wake up.

Wake up.

◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

Ruth jolted a bit; unaware that she was falling asleep. She tried to rub the sleep from her eyes but to no avail. Looking up, she tried to figure out what had been going on in class when she was out. The teacher had said something about...Projects? Ruth was too tired to figure out anything her teacher was droning about. Someone would tell her later. Someone had shaken her a little bit and said something, but she couldn't focus enough to care. She only nodded in response.

The moment she had finally become aware of her surroundings, class was over. What happened? She had slept through yet another class. It's not like anyone noticed it though. Everyone in the classroom had gone, and Ruth had been left alone with the ever-ticking clock for company. Tik. Tok. Tik. Tok. Tik... Sighing gently, she shoved her computer, paper, and pencils back into her bag. Why didn't anyone ever bother to wake her up when it mattered?

She walked down the row of desks before her and walked up to the door. Before she could open it though, it burst open, hitting her directly in the center of her forehead. Instantly she placed her hand where she had just been hit, groaning. Ouch. She looked up with narrowed eyes, giving a less than amused expression to whoever had just carelessly opened the door like that. In front of her, two girls stood. One had dirty blonde hair that fell down her back in a braid and blue eyes that gleamed in amusement. The other, a little shorter, had a pixie cut and green eyes that had a sparkle to them. Ruth knew their names quite well. Ashlyn and Jenny.

Jenny was the first to speak. "I am so sorry! Are you alright?" Ashlyn cut in immediately. "Of course she's not! You just hit her with a door you idiot." Jenny ran right up to the injured girl. Moving her hand away without question, she examined the area. "I don't think it's gonna bruise..." Jenny was now only a few inches from Ruth's face. Almost immediately, Ruth backed away. For the first time, she spoke. "I-it's fine, it doesn't hurt that bad." She lied. It hurt quite a bit, but she didn't want to talk about it anymore.

Ruth was curious, why had they come back? Had they forgotten something? As if hearing her, Ashlyn spoke up. "We wanted to talk about the project with you." Ruth now remembered hearing something about a project earlier. Ashlyn raised an eyebrow at the somewhat confused girl, "You were totally asleep during the whole explanation, weren't you?" Yes. Jenny now jumped up and down, too excited to let Ashlyn explain further before she cut in- "We are going to the Apaisios mountain!" "Could you wait for me to finish explaining the project?" The dirty blonde reprimanded in a harsh manner. As the two started to bicker, Ruth became lost in thought.