Chapter 18: A trip down the memory lane

Life is uncertain and unpredictable, but that's the beauty of life. Though it may not be a bed of roses all the time, and I agree that it has a fair share of highs and lows, life goes on. Despite the challenges, the hardships, the happy moments or the worst ones, it never stops, and not even death can halt its progression. Losing someone close to you is hard. The grief and the pain that are inflicted on oneself are unexplainable, and in that moment, it seems like the end of the world or that life has stopped. But then you get a reality check that brings you back to the busyness of life. You are met with the harsh realities of the world - making ends meet, feeding your family, etcetera. And then, slowly, the memory of the deceased starts to fade. But something just reminds you of them, and all the memories come flooding back, and you realize the wounds have not yet healed...

Nobody's POV

It was the calm of the night; fog had covered the beautiful city of Islamabad, yet there was a storm in an ivy-covered mansion that stood in its glory, bathed in moonlight. Wajdan was in a heated argument with his parents. He was pacing back and forth, running his hands through his hair in frustration.

"Fatima aunty has crossed all limits! How can she let Shanzay roam around with that low life?" he spoke with gritted teeth.

"We cannot interfere, Wajdan. Fatima made it clear the last time we went there, and at least I don't like getting insulted by someone like Fatima," Wajdan's mother said sharply.

"Your mother is right, Wajdan, and what do you care who she roams with. They have made it clear that they don't want you and Shanzay getting married. We will find you a perfect match, someone much better than her," Jawad added.

"I told you I will only marry Shanzay, so there is no point in arguing about it!"

"She is not the last girl on earth, why are you going so crazy in love about her?" Wajdan's Mother spoke.

"Oh, Love? No, my dear mother, I don't love her. In fact, I loathe her, but I will marry her by hook or by crook! She rejected Wajdan! How dare she? Nobody has rejected me! I will break her little ego into so many little pieces that the world will see."

"Your son has gone completely mad," Jawad said while exiting the room.

"Wajdan, stop it - it's enough," his mother warned.

"No, Mom, I won't spare Shanzay Ibaad," Wajdan said while going to his room and shutting the door with a thud. He immediately started dialing a number.

"Hello? It's me...I have some work for you..."

Nobody's POV

"Whose marriage are we talking about?" Azlaan said, looking towards his parents.

"Oh...um-" Rehana tried to speak.

"Do you remember my friend Asif? His son is getting married," Murtaza cut off Rehana and spoke abruptly.

"Wasn't his son the same age as Noor?" Azlaan asked puzzled.

"No, yeah, this is another Asif; his son is the same age as yours," Murtaza replied.

"Oh, alright. Well, I'll go and get freshen up," Azlaan said and headed towards his room.

Azlaan's POV

Well, that was weird. I entered my room and turned on the lights. I could clearly see the mess of clothes on my chair that I forgot to put in the laundry this morning. Shoot! I hurriedly put them in the laundry basket, and then I took off my jacket, hung it in the closet, and pulled a sweatshirt and trousers to change. After changing clothes, I had dinner, and then I came back to my room to rest. I lie down, and in minutes I drifted off to sleep.