CHAPTER TWENTY: FIRE AND SCREAMS

Dee stepped outside leaving the door open behind her and as she stepped forward the black abyss of the night engulfed her vision. Her sight was practically useless, but her ears could hear them, and her nose could smell the oncoming death. Dee stood still her fingers itching in case she needed to pull her trigger, she focused on her hearing and from what she could tell with the best of her ability through her ringing and damaged ears was three oncoming infected. Two coming head on and one around to her side.

The clouds passed away from covering the moon and running towards a few hundred meters away she saw the reflection from the moonlight simmer against pale white eyes. Dee began to drag her injured leg along with the rest of her body forward and pulled her gun up looking down the sight with her concussed vison. Her hand was swaying as her arm was heavy and sore, so Dee placed both hands on the handle to try and steady her aim. She focused on her breathing as the state of her ribs made even keeping her arms straight extremely draining.

The two infected swung their bodies forwards as their joints and limbs bent the wrong ways and there horrifying singing increased in decibels. Dee's hands trembled but she managed to keep them steady for a split second and she squoze her finger against the trigger and the gun fired. The bullet tore its way through the air and as it reached terminal velocity it struck one of the two infected in the forehead, exploding the back of its head open and its dead body fell to the ground.

The Infected running alongside the now dead one stopped moving and sinning and turned its head to the one now dead on the ground. Dee fired her gun, but this time she didn't land a headshot instead her bullet entered its chest. The Infected man turned around and began to howl growls as it began to race forward on all fours snapping its teeth together with so much force they chipped. Dee landed another two shots into the man, another hitting its chest again and another hitting its fingers on its left hand blowing them off. Dee moved forward to get closer and have a better shot but before she could fire another bullet it had leapt a un-human distance through the air and tackled Dee to the ground, as she landed the air escaped from her lungs and her broken ribs punctured deeper into her muscles and the bones in her leg shattered more. She screamed in unbearable pain and as the Infected was about to bite her throat out she mustered up enough strength to bring the barrel of the gun up to the side of its skull and she pulled the trigger causing blood and brain matter to spew out over her. The commotion had attracted the third Infected to draw its attention to the front of the house, Dee lay there screaming in pain as she tried to move her broken body.

The screams and gunshots not only alerted the third infected but also Isabelle and Jessica inside the house.

The pairs dilated eyes flinched downstairs and towards the open door the gunshots echoing through their ears and Dees screams rattling around the inside of their dopped up minds. Isabelle's thoughts raced as she tried to distinguish reality from her trip as her mind warped to the past of when Chole tried to help move Timmy's body until the Singer clawed its way into him. She tried to focus and make some sense of the world beyond the confines of the doorway. If she helped Chole that day instead of running would things be different? Would they be alive and happy together? Or no matter what actions she took that day she would have always ended up in this very moment.

"Jess, I need to go and help her." Isabelle looked at Jessica with hopelessness but determination.

"I'll help."

"Jessica you can't, your leg. I'll go. It'll be okay." Isabelle's eyes didn't agree with the words she spoke.

"Isabelle be safe. Please come back."

"I will."

Isabelle crept down the stairs and picked up the axe holding it ready to sing it into action and she stepped through the threshold of the doorway into the dangerous void outside. Isabelle's eyes darted towards Dee struggling to return to her feet, Isabelle ran over her feet feeling as if they were sinking into the ground. She placed Dee's arm around her and tried to hoist her upwards, Dee screamed in pain and snapped out at Isabelle.