Chapter 4: The Computer at the Iceberg Lounge

(Disclaimer: I own nothing from Image or DC Comics, nor do I own any of the artwork I have posted or will post.)

(Small A/N: Think of the Penguin from the original Adam West show but a little more sinister... I love Burgess Meredith's version, so I'm rolling with it. His laughter on the show is like quacking, so if you see that come up it's just him laughing.) 

Mark made his way through the bar and towards the back where the elevators were located.  He had never met Oswald Cobblepot in person, but he knew of the man's reputation and countenance well enough through news reports and Mark's conversations with his uncle. Caution was advised, but he knew that Penguin was a businessman before all else, and his greed would motivate him from betraying Mark or selling him out to keep himself out of jail.

Or so he hoped, at least.

Mark came up to the elevator being guarded by two big guys.  He said as confidently as he could, "I'm here to see your boss.  I have something he's interested in seeing,"

The goons nodded, and one spoke into and earpiece.  After a minute, they opened the door and let Mark inside.  One of them got in with him, and they ascended to an upper level in the club.  After a moment or two, the doors opened to a small hallway and Mark stepped out.  The goon pointed at the double doors at the end of the hallway and gestured for Mark to go on in.  He stepped to the doors, and knocked.

^Knock, knock.^   "Come in," a voice yelled.  Mark stepped through the doors and was met face to face with a Oswald Cobblepot, the owner of the Iceberg Lounge, and the criminal known as the Penguin.  

"Have a seat, kid, lemme get a look at ya.  Hmm... I've never known Dent to be wrong about judging a person's character before, guess he did right by ya.  Down to business... you got the drive?" Penguin asked as he puffed on his cigarette holder.  

Mark stood by Penguin's desk as he observed the villain.  Penguin was a short, balding, older man with an expensive suit and an indigo top hat on his desk.  His office looked out through a two way mirror at the Lounge

"Yeah, I have it right here.  Went through some trouble with a bird to get it, hope it's worth it.  My uncle also told me about some other stuff before I went to retrieve it, said you were aware of the details...?" Mark trailed off, waiting for an answer.

Penguin took the drive and inserted it into a computer on his desk as he responded.  "Bird, ehh?  Those brats have been causing trouble ever since Batman started using sidekicks.  Don't worry about the other stuff, your mother now has all financial control of Dent's accounts that he left with me.  I was planning on calling her later tomorrow and telling her but I guess ya have that handled.  The money is in offshore accounts, you won't be bothered by the government when ya access them.  Dent also told me about needing to have ya present while I examined what was actually on this drive, considering the small fortune we paid to have that damned Kyle woman nab it and the manpower we lost distracting Batman, the cops, and the feds... not to mention your uncle getting nabbed, pity really."

Mark sighed regretfully and said, "So he really is locked back up again, huh?  I figured that was his plan but... I don't feel any better about it."

"Actually, he left me something else for ya kid.  Lemme see, where'd I put it... hmm, damn desk, too much shit thrown in these drawers...." Penguin muttered as he dug through his desk.

"Ahhh, here we are!  *quack, quack, quack*  Dent told me to give you this as a reminder," Penguin said with his trademark laugh as he handed Mark a very familiar item:

Two-Face's iconic coin.