Ignore The Jeers

Pigsy was a demon that resembled an animal most people despised.

It didn't matter if he was smart, hard working, honest, or loyal. All humans ever saw was a monster, and all the other demons saw was a weakling trying to play human. The jeers were stupid, but they got to him sometimes.

"Go back to your demon realms, pig." But this was his home. The city with its magnificent infrastructure was his home, and he strived to make his dreams come true. Not that they cared, simply assuming he came from Diyuu or the shadows in the alleyways.

"Quit acting so stupid. You aren't some pet." He was trying to be civilized, hoping it would make it easier for society to interact with him. But other demons saw it as a sign of surrendering himself to the humans. But he wasn't pathetic.

"Your skin is much too pink, are you sickly?" They were making fun of him, Pigsy knew it very well. His skin was supposed to be pink, after all. It meant he wasn't ill, and it was a part of who he was.

His mother hated the jeers. She'd wipe away his tears gingerly, whispering sweet words of how brave he was. "Don't give up." She would kiss his cheek. "Carry on, who cares what they say." She taught him to make Bao buns that day.

But it did matter.

In this society, it mattered what they thought of him. If they really didn't like him, he wouldn't be allowed to advance in life. He wouldn't get to open his own restaurant, own a home, or live in peace. He was always told hard work and good education was all it took, but that was solely true for those that society loved.

He was not one of them.

Pigsy knew how hard it would be to grow up, and he knew it may come to a point in which harsh words would be traded out for hard hits. But was being forced out of his home worth avoiding the harsh reality of his identity in this world?

No. He needed to stand tall, because if he didn't strive for himself, then maybe he really was a coward after all.

"Don't give up."

Pigsy was no fucking coward.