Chapter 12 - Intervening History

The D4Y I'm on landed on the Akagi's deck just after 10:30 local time. With the help of the deck crew, I descended to the flight deck, and Commander Genda rushed towards me.

"Jun-san, thank you very much. We managed to withstand all the attacks from the enemy carrier-based planes that came at the fleet. Not a single carrier took a direct hit. Despite facing a large number of enemy attacks, all carriers are still operational, which is, in a way, miraculous. Unfortunately, Lieutenant Commander Itaya couldn't find Thach, but nonetheless, the results of the battle are significant. The calculations are not complete yet, but we've shot down or destroyed a considerable number of enemy torpedo bombers and dive bombers."

"The credit for repelling the enemy attacks goes entirely to the devotion of the Zero and dive bomber pilots. More importantly, what about the movements of the American task force? And what are the plans of the 1st Air Fleet headquarters after this?" I asked directly about what was on my mind.

"According to reports from the reconnaissance planes, the American task force is accelerating eastward, indicating an attempt to retreat. Perhaps the failed decisive attack led them to turn to escape. As for the future plans, Vice Admiral Nagumo and Chief of Staff Kusaka intend to regroup before launching another attack on Midway. In fact, before the start of the operation, the military headquarters informed us that the main objective was the capture of Midway. However, separate opinions, like those of Rear Admiral Abe of the 8th Cruiser Squadron and Rear Admiral Yamaguchi of the 2nd Carrier Division, suggest that since the enemy task force has appeared, it might be an opportunity to prioritize its destruction. Some staff members of the 1st Air Fleet also support this proposal."

In response to Commander Genda's words, I inwardly sighed. It's good to be courageous, but they don't seem to understand the current situation the 1st Air Fleet is in.

"The fighters and dive bombers of the 1st Air Fleet that participated in the first attack group have been sent into anti-air combat without rest after the fierce battle over Midway. The crews are exhausted. So, if we are to send an attack wave against the American task force, we have no choice but to use the fighters that did not participate in the first attack group and the attackers of the 2nd Carrier Division. We cannot neglect fleet air defense as long as Midway's airfield is still operational. Therefore, the tired crews of the first attack group, who have already been engaged in air defense, will be left to provide direct cover. In other words, considering those left for air cover, the number of fighters available for the attack wave will barely exceed twenty. On the other hand, the American task force still has around fifty Wildcats and the same number of SBDs on its three carriers. Despite repelling the American carrier-based planes in the previous air defense battle, we only managed to shoot down less than forty torpedo bombers and around fifty dive bombers, along with a few fighters at best. Even though they turned to escape, the American task force still had combat power. Even if we launch an attack with just over twenty fighters, the same number of dive bombers, and around fifty to sixty torpedo bombers, the enemy will counter with a hundred Wildcats and SBDs. Defending the attackers with a small number of fighters is extremely difficult, and most of the attackers will likely be shot down before dropping their bombs or torpedoes. If we attack now, the situation will be reversed from what it was just now."

I can sense Commander Genda swallowing hard at my words. In fact, he must have witnessed the relentless sight of TBDs being shot down by dive bombers and SBDs being downed by Zeros one after another from the Akagi's bridge. In his mind, the images of D3As being shot down by F4Fs or B5Ns being slammed into the sea by SBDs may be flashing vividly.

"There were too few fighters."

I nodded in agreement with Commander Genda's words. As a fighter pilot himself, he understands the critical importance of fighters in gaining air superiority. Well, there was a time in the past when the emphasis was on dive bombers rather than fighters, but let's forget about that for now.

"Understood. I have also made up my mind now. Also, I know it's tough right after the battle, but could you come to the Akagi's bridge with me? I would like you to explain the future plans alongside me to the Vice Admiral and the Chief of Staff. With your words, Jun-san, who is a divine servant, they may gain confidence in their decisions."

I agreed with Commander Genda's proposal and follow him as he starts walking, showing a relieved expression. The Akagi, which should have been engulfed in flames by now due to enemy dive bomber attacks, is still intact. In other words, I've distorted history with the cheat bestowed upon me by the goddess. What impact this will have on Japan or the world is something I try not to dwell on too much. After all, the battle is still ongoing.