Revenge May Not Be Sweet

We knew the sheriff had all the blacksmiths in the county in his palace making swords. The problem was, we didn't know why. What could a sheriff possibly do with that many swords? He didn't have an army, and all of the guards at his disposal had swords. Good ones. There was something I was missing, and I couldn't figure it out.

There was nothing more for us to do but continue what we were already doing, not until we had more information. It was driving me crazy, especially as I lay awake at night. Will slept, and even the warmth of his body next to mine wasn't enough to comfort me or lull me into a deep sleep. I went out to the fire pit, staring at the coals. There had to be something I could do. One night, Will came and sat next to me.

"You need to sleep you know," he murmured. I don't think he expected an answer. I wasn't avoiding sleep on purpose. "You're not going to think of a plan on no sleep. It's not going to help."

I sighed. "I know I don't act like it, but I'm sick of this. I want to go home. I want to just march in there and kill him and have it be over with."

He took my hand, rubbing it gently between his own. "I know, Scar. I know you just want it to be over. I do too. But you're the one who said we can't rush it. And you're the one who said-"

"-that we can't be selfish. I know," I responded, trying my best not to growl. I knew what the stakes were. It wasn't just my revenge. If I killed the sheriff, the prince would send another, and the next one could be worse for the people of Nottingham. And most of the time, that was enough to stop me from rushing the castle and taking him out. But right now, I was so angry, and so frustrated, and so tired that I just couldn't bring myself to even care.

I deserved to be selfish. I wasn't ever meant to be here. My brother was the goddamn heir to the throne. I was supposed to live in a castle and get married and have boys who would grow up to be princes and lords and have their own castles. People were supposed to know who I was. I clenched my fist, ready to punch someone. Maybe that's how I would kill him. I would punch him, over and over, until he stopped breathing. However I did it, I didn't want it to be quick. I wanted him to know what it was he was dying for, and what he took from me.

I felt Will's eyes on me, and when I turned to look at him, my anger deflated. This wasn't me. I didn't care about the royal stuff, or the castles. I cared about my brother, and that was the only thing I missed about the life I was meant to have. I wanted my revenge, yes, but not just for me.

I sagged against him. "We've gotta do something. Someone has to get inside the castle, find out what he's up to."

He shook his head. "No. No way. Because I know you'll want it to be you, and I can't risk that. We can't risk that. You're the one with the brains here. "

I made a face. "Now who's being selfish? This isn't because I'm the brains, this is because you're afraid something will happen to me."

"Well of course," he said. "I love you, and I won't let anything happen to you, not if I have anything to do with it. Why do you think I taught you how to use a bow all those years ago?"

I chuckled. "Because you wanted to see the looks on all those boys faces."

Will smirked. "Well that's part of it. But I've always wanted to keep you safe, in the best ways I know how. And that's not going to stop. So if you go in there, I can't do that."

I sighed, kissing his cheek. "Yes you will. Because you're the one who taught me to take care of myself. You're the reason I can fight them."

He squeezed my hand. "Come on, love. Let's get some sleep so you can argue with me again in the morning."

The way it turned out, I didn't get to argue with Will about putting myself at risk.

It was just luck that John and Robin found the note in the first place. They didn't search the nobles carriages as closely as they did that day, but there were an abnormally large number of carriages, and it made Robin suspicious. Rightfully so, it turned out. None of them carried any gold. Even the people in the carriages weren't dressed as they normally were. By the third carriage, we were all completely searching. And each noble carried a note, addressed to a different noble lord. The sheriff was asking each of these lords to send their daughters to him for protection. He also said that he would also be choosing a bride by the end of the winter.

We brought the notes back to camp, confused. "What is he up to?" I asked, not expecting an answer. But Robin had one.

"He was born without a title. So he marries a girl with a title. He gets a dowry, and becomes a lord. And he needs that money. He's already an influential man; he has the ear of Prince John."

I let out a breath. "We can't let that happen." I said softly.

"Well obviously not. But how do we stop him from getting someone through the forest? It may be the only route, but he'll start sending people at night, or bring guards, or something, when he figures out that these letters are not getting through." I didn't know what to do. I stared at the fire, trying to think.

I laid awake that night, and it was almost dawn when it came to me. When I knew what I had to do.