The Lions Den

Trailer by  afterlands

I didn't think I would be so scared. All these years waiting to get close to the Sheriff, and now that I was going to, I was terrified. But I was going alone. No Will, no John, and no Robin, despite his newness. Deep breaths were taken, and I hoped they would calm my racing heart, but they didn't. To be honest, I don't think anything could've.

We waited for a carriage to pass through the woods, and Robin dropped down from a tree. "Sorry to disturb your otherwise lovely day," he said with his hood up. "But we need your help." I peered into the carriage from behind a curtain of leaves. A woman sat inside. Good. That was good. I brushed past the trees onto the road.

"My lady, I'm sorry, but I'll need your clothes," I said. In any other situation, the distress on her face would have made me laugh. But that was not the day for laughter. "Do you have a trunk?" She nodded quickly and John pulled it out of the back of the carriage while Will tied the driver's hands together.

"Robin and Will will help you get back to the nearest village, and we'll give you some money for your trouble. But I need your carriage as well. I'm sorry."

She blinked, but didn't argue as I helped her out of the carriage. Maybe she was speechless. Or... nope I don't know. But she was cooperating, so I guess it didn't matter the reason. Quickly, we got them on the road back with Robin and Will, and I looked through the trunk for a dress. I changed in the carriage, feeling very strange. The dress was a tad large, but it would have to do for my purposes. The lady had rings and necklaces, so I pulled on one of each, noticing my shaking hands. Again I tried with the deep breaths, but to no avail. I sat, thinking of my brother, of Will, and of my own struggles. The shaking stopped slowly.

I couldn't afford to be nervous, at least not on the outside. This could be it. The chance to get my revenge, and to find news about my family, if possible. But the one thing that it was for sure was a chance to save innocent girls from the Sheriff, so that had to remain my first goal, I told myself.

John hopped up in the driver's seat as I tried to do something with my hair. He drove us to our camp and I gave up, looking in the trunk for something to pull it back with. Another stroke of luck, there was combs and things to help my hair.

I pulled a comb through my windswept, but really just tangled from running through a forest while the wind whips around you and taking baths in cold rivers, and pulled it back. "Ready, John?" I asked, gnawing on my lips. "Do I even look the part?"

He smiled at me and pulled me into a gentle hug. "You look beautiful. Like a proper lady, which is really what you are."

"I wish I was your daughter." I mumbled, before my face turned red as the jewels in my necklace. He kissed my forehead.

"Me too, lass. Me too." I nodded gruffly. My wrists were still covered, but that wouldn't do for a lady, and it was too long for full sleeved gowns. It was time to let the world see me as I was. Damaged, but still standing, and still willing to make a difference. So I pulled my gloves off and let out a slow breath.

"You're fine," John murmured. "Ready to go?"

I nodded and climbed back into the carriage with difficulty. Stupid lady shoes.

I heard the wind pick up, almost as if it was trying to warn me. To stop me from going to my destination. Maybe that was a sign that I shouldn't do this. Maybe if I had listened, things would have turned out differently, but who takes lessons from strong winds? Certainly not anyone with sense, and so I didn't, and we took the road straight to Nottingham.

We stopped at the gate to the castle, and John spoke to the guard. "We got a letter from the Sheriff. He wanted to meet my lady?" The guard must have nodded and let him through, because we were moving again. We stopped once more and I felt John jump off the carriage, and too soon he was opening the door and letting me down from my seat. I took one last deep breath and straightened my spine. I tried my best to remember my lessons from too many years ago, and nodded once to John before looking around.

There he was. The man who had ruined my life in a single night. There he was, waiting for me, looking every inch the gentleman that I knew he wasn't. And Gisborne was even standing next to him. Here goes everything, I thought.

I walked as gracefully as I could towards them, which admittedly wasn't very, and stopped close to the three men. The third man I didn't know. He was tall, and staring straight ahead, almost like he didn't even see me. I only took a moment to wonder who he was before sinking to the ground in a curtsy. "Sheriff. Sir Guy." I murmured. My voice shook ever so slightly, and I kept my eyes averted.

I barely stopped from flinching when he spoke. "With whom do I have the pleasure of speaking?"

I stood slowly, finally meeting his eyes. "You have the privilege of addressing Lady Scarlett of Brittany. Niece to His Majesty, King Richard."

The Sheriff looked me up and down in a way that made me want to take a bath, despite being clean. "Really?" he asked.

I nodded once. "I'm not surprised you don't remember me," I lied. "I was small the last time we met. Only eight." My back stiffened even further. "But perhaps you do remember?"

He narrowed his eyes, though they sparkled. I knew he would be happy, but seeing it made me want to drive the knife then rested against my thigh into his heart. "Of course I do, my lady. So good to see you again. Gisborne, make sure a room is ready for Her Grace." I let out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding.

"You'll join me and the other ladies for dinner, then Gisborne will show you to your room." He murmured. Other ladies? How had he acted so quickly? I cursed him in my mind, but nodded graciously.

"Of course." Gisborne left, and the Sheriff held his arm out for me to take. Oh how badly I wanted to turn and leave. Go back to John and ride away as fast as possible. Go back to the forest. Give up this notion of saving anyone. But I couldn't do that. I wouldn't get very far if I tried. He looked like a lion, closing in on his prey. So I took his arm lightly, and stepped willingly into the lion's den.