32

"Jung Hoseok... Kim Hongjoong, you stop doing magic in my kitchen right now... if one more pot runs away from me because you're practising doing magic with putting feets on things, I'll knock you out with my pan," Bangchan, our head chef, shouted just as I entered the kitchen. Hongjoong and Hobi were giggling as they tried to catch three pots running around, spilling their contents everywhere as they chased through the kitchen. Chan looked very annoyed and when I started to laugh, he looked at me accusingly.

"Majesty... why did they only send me a second witch in the kitchen? My life in front of the stove was so peaceful, Hongjoong was so diligent and obedient... but now... I'm always running after the food... I'll throw myself off the highest tower if it goes on like this." he complained.

"Sunbaenim... You're a vampire, you won't die from that." Hongjoong explained to him know-it-all.

"I know that too, but then I'll need two days to heal and have some peace from you." he replied with a sigh.

"Hobi... Joongie... you two won't be doing any more magic in the kitchen. I'll give you one of the study rooms, you can practice there... but only after you've helped Chan. The two of you will finish much faster than Joongie alone, so you'll have more time to practise." I tried to get the situation under control again, because I didn't want to go without Chan's food for two days. Vampires ate normal food, we only needed the blood of our companions when we entered into the bond, as they gave us special strength. But from then on, it was necessary for our survival. We could feed on blood alone if we wanted to, but who would voluntarily give up delicious food?

"Thank you." Chan bowed with relief and Hobi and Hongjoong nodded with pleasure, as they had been practicing everywhere for the past three months that Hoseok had been here and had annoyed some people as a result. Mingi had almost grilled them when they had accidentally turned Jackson into a hedgehog, nearly running him over with her own egg. The horse master, Changbin, was about to burn them at the stake when all the horses suddenly sprouted wings and it took him three days to catch them all again... He had to free two of them from treetops in which they had become entangled.

"Have you found out why Hoseok has no aura by now?" I turned to Hongjoong.

"There's a powerful spell on him, I've tried so many times to release it, but I can't... Someone very powerful must be responsible, because my powers have increased since I became a vampire and there are only a few witches who can do that." he explained.

"Hmm... We'll solve this mystery, somehow I have the feeling that we're on the trail of something important." I replied before turning my gaze to Hobi.

"Namjoon and I would like to fly with you to the springs in the Forest of Nymphs, one of them is said to show a person's past... Maybe we'll find something." I informed him and his eyes immediately lit up as he was eager to find out who his family was, where he came from and why he was surrounded by so many secrets.

"Right now?" he asked excitedly, but I shook my head, amused at his eagerness.

"No, our egg has been glowing so much lately, which means our little dragon baby will hatch soon. We'll wait a few more days, ok?" he looked a little disappointed, but then nodded, understanding that we didn't want to leave in this situation.

"Doesn't it take years for a dragon to hatch?" he asked instead.

"It can, it depends on many things, but our baby isn't just a dragon, it's also born as a vampire, so you can't assume normal circumstances... What's more, dragon eggs are left alone while this egg is carried around and cared for, I think that also has a big influence," I explained to him.

"With four dragons in our ranks, we are getting stronger, I hope so much that we can return to our old castle soon... it has such a nice kitchen." Chan gushed, which made me laugh softly again as I remembered when we were kids and had annoyed the then cook until he chased us out of the kitchen with a broom and now my childhood friend, who was a born vampire like me, was the cook himself.

"Go and catch your pots, I'm hungry." I teased him with a grin, which made him turn around with a snort, then I shooed the two witches out before they were actually killed, as they were giggling again at my words.