Chapter 40 - The Irish Gaffneys Part 2

Jessie didn't talk long with her cousins at the Irish Gaffney gathering before wandering back to talk to Ezra, closer to where her Mama was talking to Albert, Aunt Leah, and Ezra's mother Sharon. Given the message Melody delivered about Ezra the night before, Jessie was curious about the handicapped boy and was looking for the opportunity to talk to him further. Just such an opportunity arose when she saw Susan, Sharon, Cousin Albert, and Aunt Leah take a step or two away, about the time Greg and Max walked away to talk to Byron and Lawrence by the bar, leaving Ezra more or less alone.

Ezra smiled when Jessie approached.

"Hello again," he greeted her.

"Hi," Jessie said somewhat more shyly than before.

"I'm glad you came back," Ezra told her honestly.

"Why?" Jessie asked in surprise.

"I wanted to ask you something while our mums are busy," Ezra replied, nodding towards where Susan, Uncle Albert and Aunt Leah and his mother sat together at the table nearby.

"What about?" Jessie asked.

"Tell me about Misty when she was Melody," Ezra requested once he was certain they were unlikely to be overheard.

From what he could tell, his mother was completely occupied, listening to Albert and Susan talk about dreams, the part they played in The Tropical Dream, a movie the entire Abernathy family seemed to be involved with and the Gaffney family was fascinated by, and the role dreams continued to play in their lives.

"Melody was my little sister," Jessie reminded the boy.

"Then you knew her fairly well," Ezra suggested.

Jessie nodded. "Sort of. I turned eight two months after she was born."

Ezra nodded. "What was she like?"

Jessie shrugged slightly, wondering what was important for Ezra to know. "I don't know."

"You know more than I do," Ezra told her in his most persuasive tone.

"Okay. Melody liked to sing, and she told us things," Jessie shared.

Ezra smiled. "Good. That's what she was supposed to do."

"Sing?" Jessie asked looking startled.

"She always likes to sing. But she was supposed to tell people things. Misty is a messenger. The Lord sends her to those who need to hear what she can tell them. I'm glad she didn't forget about that while she was Melody," Ezra said earnestly. "She did one time, the time before this one."

"She didn't this time. Melody told us all sorts of things," Jessie assured the boy.

Ezra's smile only grew broader. "Then maybe the Lord won't make her come back. She doesn't mind the service He asks of her, but she doesn't like to be away from home."

Jessie only arched her brow at the boy. "Melody was only five-and-a-half when she died."

"I know. Your papa and my mum said," Ezra assured her. "I think that is why. The Lord promised she wouldn't have to stay very long this time."

"Yeah, I know, but by going home when she did, she missed out on getting to meet you. She could have come with us if she'd stayed longer," Jessie pointed out.

"Yes, but that won't matter. I'm almost done," Ezra confided.

Jessie regarded him curiously. "Why? Do you know what you were sent to do?"

"I was sent to listen, to ask questions. I help people remember and remind them to look for the message," Ezra told her.

Jessie cocked her head thoughtfully. "What sort of people? You mean like your cousin, Gary?"