Result

"Breyer," the Headmistress quickly announced, leaving it at that which meant that Toddy was one of the lower tiers and not strong enough to classify as any specific kind. But she had a category and a designation, and that would earn her a job somewhere.

I watched her smile hugely, as she was prone to do, and take the diploma with a little skip in her step. She looked for her parents, excitement causing her to wave at them with her scroll. We knew she would be a Breyer and as long as she was not an Uncertain she had told me that she did not care what it was. I wished I had her carefree and happy demeanor towards life.

There were eighteen graduates between Toddy and Rafi, most of them Breyers our class seemed to be heavily weighted with them. It seemed the next most prevalent was Maganers, then Healers with only the Stone Wright falling in his category so far.

Of course, when Rafi started up the steps with his shoulders back and proud, glowing like the sun, I half expected him to shake the king's hand and introduce himself personally. He did give a slight bow at the waist in deference and made quite the show of washing his hands thoroughly as the girls in the crowd tittered and cooed over him.

As he faced the basin, his eyes found mine for but a moment before I looked down at my lap. He looked apologetic, but it was neither the time nor place to convey any silent conversations.

The Bell was rung and he and he stared into the water. I wondered if Earth Wrights saw roots and wood curling around, trees and plants and all sorts of leafy things. He seemed slightly confused, brows drawing together as if he could not decipher what he was being shown. Was he hiding a terrible secret? Had the wraith poisoned him somehow? My stomach curled and writhed. What if he was seeing his true feelings for me? Maybe there had been a seed of truth in what he had said.

I also knew my grandmother's face. And I knew when I saw the color wash from it and her Proud smile disappear, that something was very wrong. Rose was never unconfident. She did not hesitate and she did not falter. She shared a look with the Professor who made her way quickly to the basin and glanced inside. Rafi's gaze rose to both of them, unsure and questioning.

The Headmistress's lips moved, but nobody could hear what she said except those on the stage. Rafi's head shook from side to side, denying it, frantically searching the sea of faces for his parents. What had he done?

When the Portaler stepped forward towards Rafi and the air began to thicken and turn at the tips of his fingers, my heart drained of blood.

"Soul Wright," the Headmistress said a little bit louder.

My legs straightened, forcing my body to stand, though there was nothing I could do. People were moving, the crowd churning as some ran, others crushing in to get a good look. Someone screamed. There were too many voices. A woman sobbed. My lips formed words, but either nothing came out or I could not hear over the clamoring.

"No, no, no, no," I continued. This was not right, Rafi was not a Soul Wright. He could not be. There was nothing evil about him. He needed my help, I would...

The graduates on either side of me were standing, too. The Headmistress was yelling something over the growing roar, people afraid they might be caught in a crossfire if a fight broke out. Her hands were raised in placation to the attendees, shaking her head as she tried to convince them to settle.

Dizzy, I watched as he spun, frantically searching for his parents, holding their gaze. The Portaler drew closer to him, while the King stayed back, watching.

"Behind you!" I yelled, vision tunneling.

He could not hear me. My grandmother's eyes scalded me with fury, a warning to sit down and shut my mouth. We were some of the only graduates standing within the rows of benches.