Chapter three

Lucas was amazed at Rosie's courage, as she kept helping whatever animal she saw nearby in need. He was also shocked to see that no type of animal regardless of size or danger, phased her. Rosie pulled him from his thoughts when she grabbed his hand and pointed to a full grown dolphin stuck in a net.
"Daddy look!" She called out.
"What is it Rosie?" He asked. Before he could say more she took off running in the direction of the net. Lucas ran after her and tripped a few times due to his bad leg. He had no idea how she fast or maybe he was just older than he thought.

"You poor thing, I'll get you out." Rosie said as she placed her hand on the dolphin's forehead. It struggled inside the net and needed water fast, or it would dry out.
"Rosie slow down honey, I can't keep up with you." Lucas said as he panted. When he finally caught up with her, she hugged him to apologize.
"I'm sorry daddy, but I had to help the dolphin." She responded. Lucas looked at the animal trapped inside the net, and while he feared his daughter's safety. He knew better than turn down a cry for help, so he pulled out his pocket knife to cut the net.
"Let's rescue her then." He said.

"Oh yes Daddy, thank you for helping my new friend!" Rosie exclaimed. Lucas smiled at her as he cut into the ropes, the dolphin got scared and shaked him off. This made the process difficult but Lucas never lost his footing and Rosie kept the frightened animal calm. The second she began her song, the dolphin's fear seemed to vanish.
"Hear my voice beneath the sea, and sleep so peacefully, listen to my song and let your worries cease. Trust me and keep your eyes on me, the wind will pass so easily. Feel the waves through your hair and turn your gaze towards the open sea. Hear my voice beneath the sea and let me carry you home." She sang.

The dolphin chirped and whistled to thank her once the net was cut. Rosie laughed and gave her new friend a hug before she swam away.
"You freed her Rosie." Lucas said. He picked her up as she waved to the dolphin.
"It was the right thing to do, no one deserves to be stuck in a net daddy." She responded. This made Lucas smile and he kissed her on the forehead.
"You're absolutely right my little flower, it is always good to help those in need no matter how big or small they may be." Lucas explained. Rosie nodded and her red hair still bounced as she was carried back to the beach. Her energy was still intact as she began to build a sand castle.

Her blue bucket and shovel were covered in sand within seconds. Lucas laughed and couldn't resist the temptation to take a picture.
"I hope it will stay up this time." She said.
"I'm sure you will make it work, I'll go get us some lunch, what would you like?" He asked.
"Hmm a hot dog and snowcone please." Rosie responded.
"Alright birthday girl just don't let that spoil your dinner." He said then tickled her, she giggled and playfully told him to stop. Lucas faked hurt and placed a hand over his chest before letting her go.
"Daddy you're so silly." She laughed.

"Only for you my little flower, now I'll be right back remember to not go anywhere or talk to strangers." He responded and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She nodded but rolled her eyes at his overprotective nature.
"I know daddy but I'm a big girl now, if anyone strange comes by I could kick them." She declared.
"No we don't kick people unless its absolutely necessary, just stay here okay honey." He responded.
Lucas then walked off towards the stand and for a minute all of the sounds around him vanished. He didn't even notice it until he heard the sound of a splash and Rosie's cries.

"Ahh!" She screamed. Lucas shook out of his brief day dream and ran over to his little girl. In the distance there was a flash of some kind of fish with a shiny tail.
"Rosie honey what happened?" He asked.
She ran into his arms with tears running down her face, a strange bite on her hand.
"Daddy some kind of evil mermaid bite me!" She cried. Lucas knew she had an active imagination and often claimed to see mermaids. Normally he would play along for a bit but this was too far.
"Rosie there are no evil mermaids." Lucas said.
"But there is she had a gold tail and looked like a scary monster." She responded.

Lucas looked down at the bite on her hand and hugged her tightly. His mind ran a million miles an hour unsure what to do. Let alone to say that mermaids were mythologial creatures.
"What else did you see honey?" He asked.
"She had white scary eyes, sharp teeth, and green skin like a snake." She responded. Lucas held back his concern as he took her back home. Rosie refused to let go of him whenever the pain in her hand spiked, which only concerned him more.
"I'm going to call a doctor okay, just hang in there sweetie" Lucas said.

"Please help me daddy I'm scared." She said and hugged his neck.
"You'll be okay honey I promise I won't let anything happen to you." He responded
She tearfully nodded and looked down at her wound, there was no blood at least not wet. Everything was all dried up with a purple bruise and four holes around it. Lucas had no luck with any doctor as most thought he had lost his mind or told him it was just a fish bite.
This went on for the rest of the day and Rosie seemed to get better yet worse at the same time. She was left with a headache, dizzy spells and chills, yet the bite healed itself.

"Daddy your face is doing the red thing again." Rosie whimpered in pain. His eyes brimed with tears of frustration and she tried to hug him.
"I'm sorry Rosie I just don't know what to do." He responded.
"Its okay daddy, none of this is your fault." She said. Her innocence was unmatched with the maturity she somehow possessed, Lucas had no idea where she got it from.
"Then why does it feel that way?" He asked himself as she snuggled with him. She shook her head and wrapped her small arms around his neck.
"We can get through it together, I love you daddy." She said.