Chapter 2: Joshua

Joshua

I saw her staring at me, her shocked brown eyes looking right at me. They didn't look so lifeless as I had made them out to be in the past few months. I knew that my actions and my silence had been slowly killing her, torturing her, but I couldn't stop. I had become accustomed to her strained tears; like a sadist I had grown to love her suffering. She had torn my world apart from the evilness in her heart. The woman in whose eyes I had made love blossom was gone, and she had been replaced by the bitterness of a bitch and evilness of a woman whom I had loved.

"Do you think we should leave?" Anne asked from beside me.

The pretty brunette whom I had taken a great liking to ever since I was betrayed had somehow found her way into my life even though we were not permanent or in love. I had had my share of women after having my heart broken. Looking at her, I was brought to the present. I once again looked at Eunice and saw her surrounded by her friends. I could see disgust for me in Shelly's eyes. Alex, her husband, and she herself had tried to stop me, but I wouldn't, not until I took away Eunice's soul and tore it apart like she had done with mine.

"There is no need to." I said politely, feeling my lips twitching.

"Come with me," I said and started walking toward my lovely wife's gathering.

I could see pain in her eyes as she looked past me at Anne, just like I wanted.

"Hello, beautiful ladies," I greeted the small gathering while standing beside where my wife was seated.

"Hey, Joshua. How have you been? Haven't seen you in awhile," Clarisse asked.

"Great, actually. Too busy at work, cracking big deals, building relations, long hours at the office and much more. However, I enjoy it, you know. Success is my key to happiness," I said while looking at my wife through the corner of my eyes; I found her head hanging low, maybe in shame.

"That's great. So what are you doing here?" Shelly said while placing a strained smile on her lips.

"Anne and I were out for lunch, actually. We were discussing some strategy for an upcoming project to see that it boosts our company's image. We ran late so we decided to have a lunch together," I said, looking straight at Shelly and only seeing distaste lurking in her eyes.

"Why don't you both join us? We were just going to order, and maybe we can catch up. I bet Eunice would love your company," Clarisse said while smiling at Eunice.

However, she didn't know how much I despised my wife. If only she knew the truth, then maybe she wouldn't have said the same thing and might not even have sat beside Eunice. Only I knew the real woman behind that façade of my so loving wife Eunice, the woman whom I once worshipped. But no longer; she was gone, and I was too. I let hatred in me and a different side of me had taken over me because she had forced me to be this way.

"I don't think it is my cup of tea. Moreover, I don't want to spoil your afternoon," I said while slipping a sweet smile over my face which was difficult for me with my wife so close.

"Oh come on, Joshua. It's not like we are talking behind your back or gossiping. I think you could bear the torture of sitting with us. Can't you?" Shelly said, looking between me and Anne.

I could see the hidden loathing on her face for both me and Anne, but I didn't care about anyone else's opinion but mine and mine only. I couldn't understand her reasoning for making me stay, but still I wanted to know what she wanted this time. I looked around and found four set of eyes looking at me besides Eunice, who wanted to look anywhere but at me.

"Okay, I shall ask someone to add a pair of chairs to the table," I said and looked around for a waite.

Soon two chairs were added to the table.