Chapter 3: Eunice

Eunice

His words echoed through my mind for the rest of the day. I wish to take away every happiness from your life, Eunice, and replace it with the worst kind of pain. I wish to take your soul away and tear it apart like you have done to mine. 

However, I don't know why I felt like that small little peck said something else; I was scared of believing that he would love me again out of the blue. 

He got this intense, sick pleasure from hurting me, and I was afraid that he would lead me on so that I would believe he loved me, that he had returned to being the Joshua who I fell for, and in an instant, break me with his sick game of insulting me and being with other women. I had started losing hope that he would ever love me again or want to be with me, and it drove me crazy to think that I had lost him. 

I put all my faith, love, and hope in this relationship, and to think that it would disintegrate leaving me void of all feelings. There would be nothing left for me to live for without him, and nothing would be better than ending my life.

I knew I was choosing a path of pain, heartbreak, and suffering, but I just couldn't give up on him, myself, or our love. His sick pleasure in hurting me would stop one day, and the darkness that had clouded his eyes making him unable to see the truth would drift away. I hoped that a bright ray of love would once again flourish in our lives, engulfing us in each other's warmth.

However, I couldn't let that small kiss engender much hope in me so that when our love shattered, I would not be left with a broken heart to pick up. I was drawn from my thoughts by the car coming to a halt. Nora had picked me up from my house for tonight's charity event.

"We're here. Cheer up a bit, Eunice," Nora said from beside me.

I was trying, but it was too hard. I tried my best to make an excuse to not go at all, but I was forced to come or I would lose my best friend. I didn't want to face the people who knew about Joshua's infidelity. Some of his old mistresses would also be there, and it would hurt me to see the look of victory and pity in their eyes. 

Sometimes I wished to share all of my misery with Nora, but I couldn't imagine burdening her with my own problems. She had been trying hard to keep up with her father's law firm. Telling her about my problems would make her upset and angry, and I knew she would ask me to leave him at that very moment, but I loved him too much to let him go. We both swiftly made our way inside after having some photographs snapped.

The night had truly just begun, but I was already feeling tired of being here. As we entered the big hall, I was greeted by the sight of the hot blonde that my husband slept with. I knew it because her name was in the brief list of my husband mistresses. I hated seeing her in a set of too revealing clothes clinging to an old man's arm. Seeing that man, I felt sympathy for how he would feel if he knew the notoriety of his daughter's actions. Nora saw my line of sight and handed me a drink.

"I don't know what's up with that old man falling for that young girl. Albert is a good client of mine. I just drew up his prenup a few months back. That red Barbie clinging to him is nothing but a bitch, I can tell you that. She married him only for his money," Nora said and took a sip of her drink while I spit mine out in shock.

She was his wife, not his daughter.

"Are you okay?" she asked worriedly.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a bit shocked to know that's his wife not daughter." I could feel that she wanted into burst into laughter.

I asked Serena to make a list of the women with whom Joshua had slept. I knew I was on a road to betrayal and heartbreak, but I just couldn't stop myself. She was hesitant at first, but after some begging, I convinced her to make the list. I wanted to know who to avoid. All the women who had warmed my husband's bed were rich spoiled brats, hookers and women who were already known for cheating on their husbands. I still wished for a time when everything was good, when everything was lively and bright rather than dark and gloomy in our life.