The 66th Annual Hunger Games

Finnick woke once more screaming, he felt like his sheets were choking him. Silk became calloused hands grabbing at him trying to kill him. 

His mother raced in, calming him. Petting his sweat-soaked hair as he sobbed into her long slender neck. 

He had won the 65th Annual Hunger Games at fourteen, the youngest victor in Hunger Games history. But he never felt like he truly escaped the arena. He may have survived but he didn't feel like a winner. 

He remembered the day he came home, all those months ago. 

Cameras were on him from every angle as he exited the train. Millions of people waited with bated breath to see Finnick fulfill his oath to tell 'his Siren' he loved her. His love story had won him countless sponsors, so many that he got a beautiful trident sent to him in the arena. He walked out of the train, a victor's crown on his head and a golden trident in his hand. 

The crowds cheered, Ronny and Colton stood up front, eyes watering with joy as their friend returned to them. 

He saw his parents and every bone in his body ached to run to them, but that was not what the Capitol wanted... the show wasn't over yet.

Evadine seemed to understand the game. She must have, all the advice she offered saved him in that arena. 

The crowds parted as she approached giving the scene practiced quality. His heart stopped in his chest as he saw her that day. Two cameras watched his every move while one turned to the approaching girl. A crown of white roses was braided into her hair, her dress was a gorgeous teal, that brought out the bluish hue of her green eyes. She was wearing a light layer of makeup that had no doubt once belonged to her mother, giving her skin a flawless glow. Her guitar was strapped to her back, showing everyone in the capitol exactly who she was. 

Evadine understood the game and she played it well... 

"Finnick!" She gasped, her voice soft and graceful. Then she gave him a smile, bright and kind, and he knew she was telling him to take the reins. 

"Evadine!" He called out and he couldn't help but be genuine in his overflowing joy to see her again. 

In a few long strides, he was before her, her hands clasped in his. "I promised I'd see you again... I told you I'm never wrong." She smiled placing her forehead against his creating an ethereal picture. 

He smiled, his shaking hands cupping her face, "I made a promise to the good people of Panem that if I was brave enough to win the games... I'd find the bravery to tell you..." He hesitated allowing the tension to build. 

"Tell me." She whispered, gazing up into his eyes. 

"I love you, Evadine... I have loved you since the moment I met you on that beach and I will love you for the rest of my life." 

She smiled leaning up so that her nose brushed his, "About time!" With an ecstatic jump, she kissed him. 

It had been their first kiss... and it was televised for the whole world to see. 

If the people of District Four thought Finnick was down bad before, he was another level after she had kissed him. 

He followed her everywhere. The only time Finnick Odair went without Evadine Ripley was on Sunday morning when she went to sing for the peacekeepers. They could be seen holding hands through the streets as she visited people in the district. She often visited him and his family in Victor's village talking animatedly with Mags and his mother as they gardened. 

Their love was innocent, and kind, though it was partially tained by the Games that had changed Finnick so thoroughly. 

It had been a little under a year since he had won. Caesar had asked about Evadine during his interview before his Victors tour. He had smiled waving her over, she had bounded over taking his hand and tucking herself into his side. Caesar asked his Siren to sing, she smiled and was handed a guitar.