Briefing

"I want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the games." Haymitch began, pouring himself a drink as Katniss and Peeta sat before him, completely focused. 

"Last year was child's play. This year you are dealing with all experienced killers."

"Alright. What does that mean for us?" Peeta asked, the concern seeping into his voice. He wasn't scared per se. Peeta had no intention of leaving the arena, he would die so that Katniss could go home. 

"That means you're gonna have to have some allies," Haymitch said patronizingly making eye contact with Katniss. 

"Okay... I think that if we-"

"Whoop... You're not the problem." Haymitch interrupted, gesturing to the cold look on Katniss' face. 

"No." Katniss practically barked the word, refusing to align herself with people who would just turn on her and Peeta in the long run.

"Look you are starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years." Haymitch tried to reason with the little warrior who sat glaring into his soul. 

"That just puts us higher on their kill list." 

"Do it your own way, but I know these people. You go in alone, their first move is going to be to hunt you down. Both of you." 

"Katniss, c'mon..." Peeta too tried to reason. Katniss softened slightly at Peeta turning back to Haymitch and at least allowing herself to hear about the others. 

"How can any of us even trust each other?" Katniss asked, visibly softening to the idea.

"It's not about trust. It's about staying alive... C'mon. Let's go to the den, I'll show you the other tributes." Haymitch offered, standing from his seat and taking his drink with him to the lounge where the TV was. 

Peeta and Katniss followed closely behind, taking a seat while Haymitch pulled up clips of the victors turned tributes. 

"Cashmere and Gloss. Brother and sister, District One. They won back-to-back games, Capitol favorites, lots of sponsors. They will be lethal." Haymitch showed the clip of two gorgeous blondes smiling at the crowd. 

"And the other half of the Career pack, Brutus and Enobaria-"

"What's with her teeth?" Katniss cut in looking at the shark-like smile the Career sported. 

"She had them filed into fangs, so she could rip people's throats out." Haymitch answered.

"She's committed I'll give her that." Peeta added, more to himself than for Katniss or Haymitch. 

"Wiress and Beetee. Not fighters but brilliant and weird, real tech savey. He won his game by electricuting six tributes at once... The morphlings masters of camoflogue. Basically won their games by hiding until everyone else was dead, self medicating ever since which I applaud... Not a threat." 

There was a short silence when Haymitch looked at the two seated on the couch, "These next two... They are the real threat in these games." He tapped the remote and a radiant couple popped on screen. 

"Finnick Odair and Evadine Ripley." Katniss answered before Haymitch even announced the names. Peeta looked at the two godlike victors. 

Their games were actually what gave him the idea to profess his crush on Katniss during his first interview with Caesar Flickerman. Katniss had sung the siren's song to a dying Rue. Finnick and Evadine were the reason people flocked to their love story in the arena. 

They were the original that Peeta and Katniss mimicked. 

"It's Finnick and Evadine Odair now. They got married a few years ago. It was one of the most televised event's since the districts were created. There is no one, the capitol wants to see win, more than Golden Boy Finnick and the Siren. They are the youngest victors in hunger games history."

Haymitch decided to display them one by one, first off he started with the blue eyed golden boy, "Finnick Odair... He won his games at fourteen, youngest ever at the time. Guys a peacock, a total preener. He is the Capitol darling. I'm sure you know if his love confession during his first interview. Sponsors love him. He's charming, smart, and very skilled at combat, especially in the water." 

"What about weaknesses?" Peeta asked, leaning forward on his knees. 

"... I wouldn't necessarily call her weak but... Yeah... One weakness." The slide changed and there she was, volunteering yet again for her friend Annie, just like she had so long ago during the 66th Hunger Games. 

A girl with wild dark curls, a flower crown on her head, and the same dress she wore when she was first reaped. The dress fit much better now, a dress that was announced to have been her mother's. Her sea-green eyes shined with tears and Finnick cupped her face, begging her not to follow him into the games. 

"Evadine Odair, formily Evadine Ripley, the Siren of District Four. She volunteered twice for her best friend Annie. She is Finnick Odair's everything, you get her on your side, you get him too. He will die protecting Evadine, that is his weakness. They are the true love story yours imitates. She is brilliant when gaining sponsors. She won her games at thirteen, got the highest individual score in Hunger games history, the people ADORE that girl. She killed every Career during her games, she survived the most deadly arena in game history. But that's not all..."

That gained their attention as both turned to Haymitch, "I have known that girl for years. She is everything good in this world. Every year when we mentor she catches one man's eye. President Snow is absolutely in love with the girl, has been since she won her games. He will give her an advantage in the arena. Her love story line is the only thing saving her from his grasp. I am begging you, if you are going to choose an ally... Pick Evadine Odair." 

They turned back to the screen which showed a repeated visual of the day Finnick returned from winning his games. Everyone had seen that photo and there they stood, once again tributes. His forehead braced against hers, their eyes staring into eachother's hearts. 

So much time had passed and yet there they were, right back where they began.