Chapter Seven

Ye ham tasleem karte hain hamen fursat nahi milti

Magar ye bhi zara socho tumhe jab yaad karte hain, zamana bhool jate hain

(Unknown)

Taqdeer ne jaise chaha vaise dhal gae ham

Bohat sambhal ke chale phir bhi phisal gae hum

kisi ne bharosa tora to kisi ne dil

Or logon ko lagta hai ke bohat badal gae ham

(Unknown)

They had just finished a hearty breakfast, the lingering aroma of fresh coffee wafting through the air. The morning sun streamed through the windows, casting a warm glow on the dining table. Murtasim stood up to head out and Meerab accompanied him to the main door. The maids began clearing the table, Maa Begum and Anwar Khan had already left the table for the main family room.

As they approached the door, the hardwood floor echoed the soft click of shoes, creating a rhythmic soundtrack to the moment. With a gentle twist of the doorknob, Murtasim opened the door allowing the gentle breeze that carried the scent of blooming flowers from the lawn. Murtasim turned around to greet his wife and dipped his head a little to place a kiss on her forehead.

"Apna khayal rakhna, I will be back by lunch time."

She nodded her head and smiled while seeing him off. As she heard his car leaving the Haveli's driveway followed by his motorcade, she made her way to the lawn. She had backed up all her contacts from her old phone that was in her use two years ago. Searching for her desired number, she hit the call button and placed the phone next to her right ear while pacing back and forth on the lawn. Her heart just wanted the other person to pick up the call.

Time seemed to have slowed down when she finally heard the familiar voice from the other side "Meerab",

"Mariyam," Meerab said surprised, unable to believe that Mariyam had answered her call after having cut ties with everyone...

"Kaisi ho tum", she asked when she did not hear anything from the other side, excitement noticeable in her voice.

"Main theek hoon Meerab, magar ap mujhe apne number se call kar rahi hain, I had been trying your number for the past two years but it was always turned off... Ab aisa kya hua, ap kahan hai"

Meerab took a breath of relief knowing that Mariam was not angry at her and had tried contacting her.

The poor soul would not have known anything related to Meerab's whereabouts.

"Main tumhe sab bataon gi, filhal itna jan lo that I am in Hyderabad but us se phle main tumse milna chahti hoon"

"Ji zaroor Meerab app mere ghar ajaiye"

"Abhi ajaon" she asked

"Zaroor ajaiye, Naurez abhi kam pe gaen hain un se nahi mil paen gi app or Sabra aunty is in London"

"Theek hai main ati hoon"

Meerab cut the call, making her way inside. She wanted to meet Mariam alone and convince her to meet her family. She had seen a longing in Maa Begum's eyes. Murtasim didn't say much but whenever Mariam was discussed, sadness was evident on his face. As if he was angry at himself for having failed as a brother.

She made her way to her room and quickly retrieved her Tori Burch bag making her way to the family room. She knew she needed to think about something of what to tell Maa Begum before leaving the house.