Chapter 4: Going down the Rabbit hole 🍋

You and Yuya went face to face with Yoko Mitsukado, your childhood friend.

Ichinosuke: Mr. Nomoto. Something serious has happened.

Yoko stands up.

Yuya: What do you mean?

She approaches you two.

Yoko: Yuya Nomoto. I request that you withdraw from the Destroyal.

Yuya: Um, what do you mean?

Ichinosuke: Instead of a one-on-one match, multiple Brutes enter the battle royale. I don't understand why this is happening so suddenly.

(Y/n): A battle royal. Sounds interesting.

Yoko: Getting defeated in the Destroyal means certain death.

Yuya: Death? And Hitomi and (Y/n) are going to enter this?

(Y/n): Yes.

Yuya: Why?

Yuugo pushes him to the floor.

Yoko: Reiichi Shidoh is behind this. That man is treating the Killing Bites as a test site for his own research. I cannot forgive his attempt to appropriate our ancient and honorable battlegrounds.

(Y/n): I don't fear death. I'm looking forward to fight strong opponents anyway.

Yuya: I'm not sure what you want me to do about it. I can try talking to Hitomi, but I'm not sure she'll withdraw.

She steps closer.

Yoko: You don't understand, do you? You'll be entering too.

Yuya: What?

Yoko: The Destroyal is real life chess games where Brutes are the pieces. The players who move these pieces are you, the financiers.

He gasps.

Yoko: Your decisions will determine whether Ratel and Werewolf live or die. Are you prepared to participate in a game with their lives on the line?

(Opening)

At the café, Hitomi and Eruza sat at a table. Hitomi was cutting a piece of pancakes with syrup, fruits, whip cream and sauce.

Eruza: Yes, you and (Y/n) are excellent chess pieces, I have to admit, but if the player behind is an idiot, you won't survive the Destroyal. It's not too late to find another financier. You should just re-enter later. Are you listening?

Hitomi picks up a glass of drink.

Hitomi: I'm fine with him.

Eruza was confusingly surprised.

Eruza: I told you, a slow little weakling like-

Hitomi: The weak are able to sniff out the strong. That's why he'll never go against the two of us. In other words, we'll be able to do everything our way.

She spoke with confidence.

--------------------------------------------------

Yoko: What? What did you just say?

Yuya: Um, well... I'll ask Hitomi, and if she's fine with me, we'll do it.

She leans in.

Yoko: One wrong decision could kill someone. Why are you leaving that up to her?