One

"You will write, Catherine? Do you promise?"

"I promise, Bessie. I promise to write to you as often as possible! But I shan't be away long. I only intend to stay a month or so, and then I will be home again."

"A month or so is a terribly long time."

"It may seem so now, but I am sure it will soon hurry by!"

"Not for me."

Catherine Taylor pulled her twelve-year-old sister into a tight embrace, sighing sorrowfully into her cloud of golden hair. It pained her to see Bessie unhappy; especially knowing she was the cause of her sister's sadness.

"I know, Bessie," murmured Catherine, fingers brushing her sister's ringlets absent-mindedly.

"Our uncle has been so kind in asking me to stay, though - it would have been improper of me to decline his offer."

Catherine's Aunt and Uncle, Sir William and Lady Cavendish, had been visiting them at Donbroke when Sir William had suggested that Catherine return with them to Somerset for a time. She had been eagerly awaiting the trip ever since it was decided - but now, on the morning of her departure, as she stood holding her dear little sister in her arms, she found a sudden, gut-wrenching pain tearing through her at the thought of leaving. A weak and sickly child, Bessie was not often able to venture out of doors; how was she to cope without Catherine's doting companionship?

A sudden idea occurred to Catherine, and she gasped aloud, causing Bessie to withdraw from her arms.

"What is it?" enquired her sister curiously.

"I have an idea!" cried Catherine enthusiastically. "Your drawing has been coming on very nicely these past months, has it not?"

"Yes, I suppose so," replied Bessie, still looking rather puzzled.

"Well," continued Catherine, "how about you give yourself a new drawing to work on while I am away? It will give you something to amuse yourself with so that you do not miss me too much, and when I return, you will be able to show me all your hard work!"

To Catherine's delight, the young girl's eyes lit up at this suggestion.

"I always do like your ideas, Catherine. Yes, I think that is what I shall do. It will be nice to think of you as I draw, and to wonder what you will say about my picture when you see it."

"There now," smiled Catherine, relieved to see her sister's spirits improved, "things are looking better already. If you busy yourself with your picture, then I am sure it will seem as if I am returned in no time."

"I do hope so."

***

Despite her determination to remain positive, Catherine could not help but shed a few tears when the moment of departure finally came. It was with a rather peculiar sensation that she gazedout of the carriage window as it swept up the cobbled streets, the bustlingtown of Warwick giving way to lush countryside. This was, after all, the firstjourney of any notable length Catherine had ever made from her home, and shesuddenly began to wonder if she had made the right decision after all. Herheart was aching for Donbroke and her sister already, and they had not been ontheir way but five minutes! How on earth could she possibly manage being awayan entire month?

The sensible Sir William seemed to pick up on his niece's distress, and took the opportunity to strike up a conversation about their various neighbours around the village of Barnbury where they resided, capturing Catherine's interest at once.