Thirteen

"I truly did not mean to interrupt you, Catherine."

It was an hour after Julia had walked in on Catherine and Professor Lawes in the music room, and the cousins were now stood on the front doorstep outside Broxcliffe Park, watching the retreating figure of Professor Lawes disappear from view. After Julia's intrusion Professor Lawes had returned to his usual awkward self, stammering an incoherent reply when Julia invited him into the sitting room before spending the remainder of his visit in almost complete silence. This did not anger Catherine as much as it once would have, for she now better understood why he behaved this way – but it did not stop her wishing that Julia had not caused him to retreat into his shell.

"If I had known that you were sharing a 'moment' with the professor, I should never have dreamed of entering!" added Julia as they returned inside the house.

"We were not sharing a moment!" insisted Catherine, but her colouring cheeks betrayed her.

They had only been playing a duet together, but Catherine couldn't help feeling as though she and Professor Lawes had shared a very personal, intimate experience. During that brief time they were alone in the music room, Catherine had felt closer to the professor than she had to any other man. It was completely different to any time she had spent in a gentleman's company during a social event; Professor Lawes had spoken honestly, and openly, and the whole thing had felt so natural. Quite simply, it was unlike anything Catherine had ever experienced.

"I do not know how he came to find you in the music room," puzzled Julia, "for I only left him alone five minutes. Papa and William were both in Papa's study discussing business matters when the professor arrived, and Mama was resting in her bedchamber, so I was the only one able to receive him. I informed him that you had returned to Barnbury – which he seemed exceedingly pleased about, if I might say – and so I asked him to remain in the drawing room for a moment while I searched the house for you.

He must have been so desperate to see you that he decided to seek you out rather than waiting, and found you before I did! How perfectly romantic is that? I cannot say I am pleased that he wandered the house without invitation, though - that was very rude indeed."

"I am sure he simply did not realise it would be ill-mannered to do so," offered Catherine as they reached the sitting room and Julia took up her embroidery once more. Catherine felt far too restless and excited to settle to anything, and so resumed her pacing about the room.

"Your opinion appears to have altered dramatically," commented Julia with a brief glance up from her needlework. "Why, I thought you did not care for him at all, and found his lack of manners extremely irksome?"

"I – I suppose – I have learnt more about the professor's true character now," muttered Catherine, pausing to gaze thoughtfully out of the window. "After all, first impressions do not reveal everything about a person"

"Yes, that is very true," agreed Julia, setting down her embroidery with a heavy sigh. "It certainly was the case with Lord Russell."

Julia lapsed into a sorrowful silence, and once again Catherine felt a wave of pity wash over her for her cousin's heartbreak. In general Julia was holding up very well, prone only to occasional fits of melancholy. She seemed to be keeping herself cheerful by continuously teasing Catherine about Professor Lawes, and although this was rather embarrassing Catherine was simply relieved that Julia seemed happy for her. It would have been perfectly acceptable for Julia to feel a little resentful given the way things were looking with Lord Russell – but her warm-hearted, gentle cousin did not have that in her, and Catherine loved her dearly for it.