Eleven

Catherine's journey back to Somerset was such a stark contrast to the one she had made from there that she could scarcely believe they had taken place a mere fortnight apart. In that short space of time her life had changed completely, and she felt as light as a feather now that she had been relieved of the burden of Bessie's illness. Having journeyed to Warwick not knowing if she would even find her sister alive when she got there, Catherine could never have expected to be leaving Bessie well on the road to recovery only two weeks later.

During Catherine's last journey with Sir William it had been her uncle attempting to comfort her; this time it was Sir William in a state of distress, and their roles became reversed. Sir William had taken the news of Lord Russell's possible misconduct very badly indeed – Catherine had a suspicion that he was blaming himself for the entire thing, for he had openly encouraged Julia's acquaintance with the young viscount at every opportunity. She attempted to reassure him that he had merely been acting in his daughter's best interests by attempting to promote a prosperous match, as any decent parent would, but Sir William was too worked-up to listen, and so Catherine felt there was not much more to be said on the subject.

Their arrival at Broxcliffe Park was almost identical to that of a few weeks ago when Catherine had first come to stay. Once again she found herself instantly greeted by the bouncing figure of Julia dashing down the front steps, and Catherine's heart swelled with happiness to see her cousin's face shining with delight at the sight of her. After all that had happened between them Catherine had started to wonder if she and Julia would ever become friends again, so to see such open affection from her now was an overwhelming relief.

"I did not know if you would come!" cried Julia as she hurried over and instantly took Catherine's hands in her own. "I am so glad you have, for it must mean both that Bessie is recovered, and that you have forgiven me!"

"Yes, both are true," replied Catherine, "I want you to know, Julia, that it was never my intention to cause all this ill-feeling between us - I only acted with the best of intentions."

"I know that now!" said Julia earnestly, "oh, how I know that now! You knew all along what sort of person Lord Russell truly is, while I was blinded by foolish infatuation! I cannot bear to think I might have ended our friendship with my behaviour!"

"Do not fret, my dear Julia – I could not remain vexed at you for such an innocent mistake. It is only natural that you should have wanted to think the best of the man you came to love. I am sure any young lady in your situation would have done the same."

Julia managed a wan smile, but she still looked rather ashamed of herself.

"I am just glad we are friends again," she told Catherine. "I have missed you so!"

"I have missed you too," replied Catherine sincerely.

"Will you take a turn about the gardens with me?" asked Julia now. "The speculation about Lord Russell grows by the day down in the village, and I have a great deal to confide in you."

"Of course," said Catherine, allowing herself to be gently towed towards the path which led down to the extensive gardens at the rear of the property. They had barely moved five paces, however, when an anxious voice called out, stopping them in their tracks.

"Julia! Where are you going? I wish to speak with you."

It was Sir William, who had until now been occupied with arranging for his and Catherine's luggage to be sent up to the house. With that concluded, he now turned his attention towards his only daughter with an expression of fatherly concern.

"There will be plenty of time to talk later, Papa," Julia called to him. "I am going for a walk with Catherine just now."

Catherine would never have dreamed of defying her own father's wishes in such a way, but then Julia always seemed to have Sir William wrapped around her little finger. Sure enough he accepted with a curt nod, though his brow was still creased in a worried frown. Julia did not seem to notice this, and continued steering Catherine in the direction of the gardens.