Four

William, who had been out on an errand with his father when Lord Russell and his sister had visited, declared his great disappointment at having missed them when Julia told of it on his return.

"I do wish you might have told me that you had an inclination of their coming, Julia," he told his sister exasperatedly, "for I should have very much liked to see them."

"And would you wish for me to inform you of every person who comes to call on me, brother?" retorted Julia. "Am I not allowed to have visitors without first raising the matter with you?"

Catherine left the siblings to their heated discussion, feeling too disheartened to contribute. Why her cousins seemed to be so enthralled by Lord Russell and his family, she could not think. The Russells had riches and elevated social status, of course – but she had never thought of William and Julia as people who would marry solely for material gain. Marrying prosperously was, of course, always looked upon favourably, but for William especially this was not so essential, him being the heir to a baronetcy. Catherine had also considered William to be a shrewd young man, yet somehow he did not appear to notice the many faults in each of the Russells' characters, which, in Catherine's opinion, far outweighed their merits.

Even Sir William seemed to be looking upon the family more favourably now, declaring that he would write to Lord Russell at once accepting the invitation to the ball as soon as Julia mentioned it to him. Only Lady Cavendish still seemed to share Catherine's feelings, and saw how badly her niece's pride had been wounded with Lady Russell's behaviour at Wyndham Hall. She, as a mother herself, could see Lady Russell's faults in bringing up her children, and did not see any good in Julia and William furthering their acquaintance with the family. But despite suggesting to her husband that the ball might not be such an advantageous opportunity for them, Sir William would not be persuaded. Partly due to his own enthusiasm, and partly due to his interest in Julia's happiness, he was very decided: they would go to the ball.

When the evening arrived, Catherine tried her best to find some enthusiasm. She did have a great love of dancing, after all, and she had always longed to attend a country ball. She and Bessie had often dreamed of them at home, imagining the beautiful gowns they would wear, the fine ladies they would meet, and thrill of having a gentleman suitor ask them to dance.

Thinking of Bessie made Catherine feel rather guilty. She had promised to write often to her sister, but with the recent goings on at Wyndham Hall and the uneasiness between herself and Julia, she had not felt much like writing. Now Catherine decided that she would try her best to attend the ball with high spirits and thoroughly enjoy it, for Bessie's sake, and vowed to herself that she would write to her sister the very next day telling her all about it.

With slightly improved spirits, Catherine rang the bell for Nancy to come and help her get ready. Although she did not have any gentleman suitors to impress, she still wished to look her best as she felt this would help her endeavour to enjoy the evening, so she selected a peacock-blue taffeta gown with a golden bust which she had been told became her very well. Once Nancy had skilfully pinned her hair and pinched her cheeks slightly as a finishing touch, Catherine glanced at her appearance in the looking-glass in front of her with approval. However, on exiting her bedchamber and coming across Julia on the stairs, she simply gasped in astonishment.

Her cousin looked truly stunning. Julia was radiant in a deep purple satin gown, with dainty rosebuds embroidered on the sleeves and bodice. It had a subtle shimmering hue, and Julia positively glowed in it as she made her way down the stairs with her head held high, the image of womanly poise and elegance. The transformation from the young, giggling girl Catherine knew was incredible, and she felt rather astounded at the effect a gentleman suitor seemed capable of having upon a woman in the mere space of a few days.