Chapter 1: Lurking Despair

"So, are we all done with the staredowns?" Shimizu asks as he looks around. "Because I am not seeing any winners here, right Kyoko?"

".....right." Kyoko closes her eyes and a thoughtful expression is on her face. "Are you all just going to stand around glaring at each other?"

"R-Right....They are right!" Taka shouts.

"Remember Taka, courage is not the absence of fear," Shimizu says. "Rather it is acting despite it. A very wise guy once said that."

"Y-Yeah, sometimes if you are afraid or nervous, you just have to charge in with everything you got!" Taka's expression suddenly becomes crestfallen. "To forget such a simple fact.....as the Ultimate Moral Compass. I am so ashamed! Agh, somebody hit me with everything you got! I await my due punishment!"

"Jesus, man. Ever heard the phrase, 'Actions speak louder than words'?" Mondo asks.

"This whole thing is starting to drain my energy." Yasuhiro hums. "So, what should we do next?"

"Yes, what is our new mission, exactly?" Hifumi asks.

"Idiots! To look for a way out, duh! You guys must want to rot away in here," Leon says in a matter-of-factly tone.

"O-Of course not, Mr. Kuwata."

"Yeah, I still got a life to live!"

"We need to find out who was controlling that stupid bear and beat the hell out of 'em," Junko says with an enraged expression.

"W-We don't have to go that far!" Makoto exclaims.

"No, the chick is right. We beat the ever-living fuck out of 'em," Mondo says.

"B-But before we do all that, maybe we should take a look at the handbook." Chihiro appears to flick aimlessly on the handbook. "It's probably best to check out the school regulations Monokuma mentioned before doing anything else."

"True. If we stumble around with no clue what the rules are, something like that might happen again," Celeste says with a smile. "It will be.....regrettable to walk in ignorance."

"Shit." Mondo sighs.

"Fine. Then let's hurry up and check out the stupid rules already." Junko sighs as well.

Shimizu activates his e-Handbook and goes to the school regulations tab with the others following suit.

Placed on the screen were the following regulations:

1. Students may reside only within the school. Leaving campus is an unacceptable use of time.

2. "Nighttime" is from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. Some areas are off-limits at night, so please exercise caution.

3. Sleeping anywhere other than the dormitory will be seen as sleeping in class and punished accordingly.

4. With minimal restrictions, you are free to explore Hope's Peak Academy at your discretion.

5. Violence against Headmaster Monokuma is strictly prohibited, as is the destruction of surveillance cameras.

6. Anyone who kills a fellow student and becomes "blackened" will graduate, unless they are discovered.

7. Additional school regulations may be added as necessary.

"I guess things are beginning to set off." Shimizu thinks to himself as he turns off his e-Handbook.

"This is straight fuckin' bullshit! What the hell kinda rules are these!? I am not gonna let them control ME!" Mondo bellows as he puts his e-handbook in his coat.