48. Soup to Nuts

"Y'all kicked their butts from soup to nuts. Don't worry, we gonna get a W soon. We'll see you goldfish on Monday." Ted declared.

"Goldfish?"

"Oh, it means to forget our mistakes and failures and just move on." Sam recalled.

"But I didn't make any mistakes. Only you played poorly." Jan countered.

"Ooh. Wow." The group declared glancing back at him.

"Hey, guys, Jan Maas is not being rude. He's just being Dutch."

"I'm telling you, all these ties are my fault." Ted remarked. "It's straight up celestial payback or the Man City game. There I was wishing and hoping for a freaking tie, and now the karma police are making good on showing me what I get when I mess with them."

"Still going good." Rebecca remarked. 

"We tied and Dani killed a dog. I dont know think thats going good." Poppy countered. 

"Yes thats in poor taste I meant you and Ted." 

"Oh, yeah." Poppy agreed simply. 

"Thats all I get?"

"What do you want me to say?" Poppy countered. 

"That... you..."

"Love him? I do. I see a future and an ending at the same time. I do." Poppy added. 

"What do you mean?" 

"Football has been keeping Teds mind off of missing Henry but that break we got, with Henry here, it felt like we were a real family." Poppy remarked. "ANd when Henry left it reminded me that I have to deal with Michelle if Ted and I are ever going to be more than just dating, if he is ever going to... want to stay." 

"You think when he's done coaching he is going to leave." Rebecca realized. 

"What other purpose would he have to stay?" Poppy declared her arms flailing. She grabbed her bag in an aggressive grip. 

"For you." Rebecca answered. 

"Henry is his son. I would never ask him to choose because if he chose me over his son he would resent me and I wouldnt want him to pick me over Henry. Me over Michelle, hell yes but they are sort of package deal." 

"Dont worry about that just yet. Maybe he will... you can't leave me." 

"I'm not leaving, my life is here." 

"So is Teds now." 

"The team's playing well, Ted, just a little unlucky, that's all."

""Unlucky". Yeah. Man, I love the way y'all use that word over here." Ted mused. "Back home, if a team was playing poorly, we don't call 'em unlucky."

"What do we call 'em, Coach?"

"New York Jets." Beard added. 

"There it is." Ted agreed as Poppy came in. 

"You ready?" Poppy questioned. She was going to savor every moment with Ted.  

"Yes ma'am." Ted agreed, she wrapped an arm around him as Birdie grabbed Poppy's hand. "See you boys monday." Ted climbed in the passenger seat as birdie got buckled up. He glanced back at her, she was quieter than usual. "You alright little Bird?" 

"Yeah, I just feel bad for Earl." Birdie remarked. 

"he's in doggie heaven with all the past Greyhounds." Poppy remarked. "he's having a grand time." 

"He is?" Birdie questioned. 

"Yeah. Thats what happens when a dog or cat any animal that was loved, they get to go to heaven and meet all the other animals that someone loved, I'm sure they have a big party up there waiting for their humans to join them, greet them with all the kisses." Poppy added. Birdie smiled. 

"Thats really nice." Birdie decided. Poppy nodded as she started the engine. Ted reached over grabbing her hand as she drove them home. 

+

"Boots, you are never allowed to go to a football game." Birdie was telling their orange cat with white paws. He blinked back at them, big beautiful eyes. "I dont want you getting your head bashed in." Birdie whispered. 

"I know today didnt go how you expected but... you are still undefeated that has to count for something." Poppy remarked as she pulled out the take out menus. 

"It's karma." Ted corrected. 

"What?" Poppy countered waving a menu towards Birdie, she jumped up. 

"I begged for a tie and now its all we are getting." 

"America hates ties thats why American's have so many clip ons." Poppy mused. A smile broke across Teds face and he wrapped his arms around her. 

"I love you." 

"I love you." Poppy echoed never wanting this moment to end. 

+

"Night Birdie Boo." Poppy whispered kissing her forehead and turning out the light. She moved to close the door but Boots jumped up on Birdie's bed. Poppy left the door open a crack. Poppy looked to Ted, he smiled softly as he put down the beer bottle. 

Poppy was never a beer girl but she started keeping it in stock for Ted, she had a few bottles of wine, whites and Moscato's mainly. It was nice seeing the little changes, the little more masculine touches throughout the flat. 

He lifted his fingers and ran them over her jawline with tender worship, and a deep, unrestrained longing filled his eyes. He leaned forward ever so slightly, breathing her in, and then another emotion joined his desire. Need. His gaze landed on her taut, pink nipples, visible to him through her clinging nightshirt.

He stepped toward her, forcing her back with his body. He kept walking until she sat on the counter. Placing his hips between her parted legs, her ran his hands slowly up her calves and circled her knees slowly, before gripping her bare thighs. He spoke directly into her ear, whispered words that made Poppys heart flutter and eyes close.