41

"As of now, we've recovered eighty-five percent of the war chest, but I'll chase that number to perfection." Rampart's sour expression only deepened the longer the clone captain's report went on. He had read it all already, in the trooper's mission report. It wasn't why he had come here.

"Your failure to ensure the transfer of this cargo is not why I'm here," he informed the trooper exactly that, allowing some of his irritation to seep into his words. If the trooper's mission report was correct, he was about to have a huge problem on his hands. "I've come to address some inaccuracies in your mission report."

The clone captain - Wilco, Rampart was fairly sure he called himself, though he couldn't particularly care about the silly nicknames they used to differentiate themselves - only stared at him like he had suddenly begun speaking Shyriiwook.

"What inaccuracies?" he hedged deliberately, careful of his response in front of a superior.

Rampart paused in the middle of the courtyard, sparing the clone a brief glance. "You stated the would-be thieves you encountered were the rogue clones from Experimental Unit 99, yet that is impossible. Their squad perished in the fall of Tipoca City."

He resumed walking then, to the balcony that overlooked the forests of Serenno, attempting to hide the apprehension burning through him as the clone debated his answer.

"Your intel was incorrect sir," the captain replied eventually, catching up to him at the balcony. "I had visual confirmation on two of them. They're alive."

Any lesser person might have cursed. Rampart, with the pride he held for his self control, did not, despite the brief flash of alarm that replaced the apprehension. CT-9904 had lied to him then. But it was of little importance now. If the rest of the mission report was true as well, then the news of Experimental Unit 99's survival would be the least of his worries. He was now more glad than ever he had intercepted the mission report draft before it had the chance to make it to anyone higher up.

"I see," he said instead, carefully keeping his voice even. "There was mention of sightings of a Jedi in your report as well. Was this also visually confirmed?"

There was a distinct pause before the clone answered again. "Not by myself, sir. But the trooper who reported it is dead now. I found his body myself. It was no blaster shot that killed him."

It would be too dangerous to assume the clone was mistaken. If CT-9904 and Experimental Unit 99 had survived Kamino, it was more than certain that their Jedi companion had too. The urge to curse had returned in full force, stronger now. The survival of the rogue clone squad was a severe enough mistake. If Tarkin- if the Emperor learned he had known of a surviving Jedi and kept it hidden, there would be consequences. And Rampart didn't particularly want to find out what those consequences were.

"If Governor Tarkin were to learn of my misstep, then I would be at risk." Rampart chose his next words with precision, masking any mention of the Emperor. "And that cannot happen. Which is why a new report will be submitted. One void of any mention of Clone Force 99. And the Jedi."

"Sir..." Wilco hesitated at the balcony even as Rampart began to walk away, his adherence to protocol warring against the intrinsic compulsion to follow orders. He should submit a full, honest report - it was what Imperial code dictated. But his superior wanted something from him, and part of him was compelled to comply.

Though the presence of the Jedi certainly complicated things. He was supposed to report directly to the Emperor if he or one of his troopers ever came across one. And he almost had, until the communication had come from this admiral to hold off on submitting his mission report until it could be reviewed. So he had been distracted from his objective, having to prepare for the admiral's arrival before he could pass on his information to the Emperor.

Ultimately it was that that made the decision for him. The Emperor outranked the Admiral, after all, and he had direct orders from the Emperor to inform him of any sightings of Jedi.

"Sir, I will not falsify an official report. Especially not one concerning a major fugitive."

They both knew he wasn't talking about the rogue clones. Rampart sighed quietly. He had been afraid of this. The clone was rigid as they went, adhering to the Imperial protocols exactly how it was programmed into their inhibitor chips. He would have to take matters into his own hands.

"I understand." Wilco flinched as he turned, seeing the admiral's blaster levelled straight at his head. Where had he even gotten a weapon from? He was sure he hadn't been carrying one on him. "I will."

Wilco did the only thing he could - he rushed for the blaster, intending to disarm the admiral before he could pull the trigger. His superior was committing treason, it was his duty as a soldier of the Empire to-

The sound of a single blaster shot pierced the air.

The clone's body swayed where it was for a single moment, suspended by gravity, before inertia took hold and it tumbled backwards, over the railing and plummeting to the ruins of the city. Rampart only glanced at his weapon with a degree of disgust, lowering it and straightening out his already immaculate uniform with a quick tug on his shirt. He detested the boorish nature of blasters - he much preferred the refinery of politics and its word games - but even he had to admit that it was a necessary evil sometimes. At least it had solved his current problem. Experimental Unit 99, and the Jedi, would go unnoticed by Tarkin and the Emperor a little while longer. Until he could figure out how to deal with them.

He turned and headed back for his transport without a second glance back.

A/N: I've been trying to stick to a Wednesday/Sunday posting schedule, but I thought I'd surprise you guys with a lil extra one, just to wrap up the arc. 

Also I know this is supposed to be a HunterxOC love story and y'all must be getting frustrated coz you haven't seen any action between them, but I promise its coming. My plan for this was similar to slow burn, building tension etc, if ykwim :)). The first part (aka first season) was supposed to be Astera building those friendships and trust with the Batch again, yk to make it make sense and not move too fast?

But yeah, I'm sorryyy and I promise it's coming