Evan

Evan

Lilith sighed as she sat back and sipped her tea. Was her roommate supposed to be home an hour ago? Yes. But the boiling rain had started well before them and he was likely waiting it out somewhere. She finally had the quite house to read her book. He'd be fine.

The door burst open and Darius stumbled in. Lilith jumped and spilled hot tea over her book.

"Darius! What the–" She stopped short.

He had dropped to his knees just inside the door. There were holes burned through his favorite lilac cloak and even through his shirt in some places. His plaisman, Bell, was huddled on the top of his head rather than clinging to the ends of his hair like usual. His hands and white silk shirt were caked in dirt and mud. There was mud splashed up his legs and even his velveted pants had been singed by the boiling rain. He clutched something to his chest that he was hunched over as he panted.

"Damn it, Darius," Lilith groaned and stood, "You should have waited the storm out at the castle. I'll get the burn salve."

"I couldn't."

She turned, "What?"

"I COULDN'T wait at the castle, Lilith!" He looked up at her with wide eyes, "I couldn't risk him finding us."

"Us?" She knelt in front of him, "What do you mean 'us'?"

Darius held out the bundle in his arms. The baby wrapped in the blankets was just as dirty as he was, but had been unharmed by the boiling rain. They continued to sleep soundly. Lilith choked.

"Darius, whose baby is that?"

"Jesper's...I-I think," He tucked the baby back to his chest, "He...He's dead, Lily. J-Jesper's dead. Belos. He..." (1)

Lilith saw her hands shaking as she reached out to hold him. Darius leaned forward until his forehead rest on her shoulder. She stared out the still open door, feeling the fog begin to fill her mind. She shook her head.

"Hey," She rubbed his back, "Why don't you go take a shower? Not a bath. A shower. Take the baby with you. Get them cleaned up too. We'll talk after."

Darius nodded but stayed where he was for a moment longer. Then he sat back and looked down at the baby. His eyes widened when he saw his hands, as if he were seeing the dirt and mud for the first time.

"Yeah. I know," Lilith put her hands back on his shoulders, "That's why you're going to wash up. Go on."

He looked up at her for a moment before nodding again. He clutched the baby closer and stood. Then he made his way up the stairs and to the bathroom.

Lilith stayed on the floor by the door. Steam from the rain wafted towards the house but she could bareilly see it through the fog that was over taking her mind.

Belos had killed Jesper? His Golden Guard? Jesper had a child?

She had never been close with the Head of the Emperor's Coven. Not in the way Darius was. Even though it was he that she answered to in the coven. But now he was gone.

She stood on autopilot and closed the door. She lay her forehead against it. Why? Why? WHY? Was Jesper really gone? Was the baby really his? Would Darius lie to her? What on the Ials were they going to do with a baby?

"Scaw?" Something landed on her head.

"I'm alright, Socks." She whispered, "Just...confused."

The white raven trilled softly and snuggled into her hair. By the time Lilith found the strength to return to the sofa, her tea had gone cold. She grabbed her book but didn' open it. Socks leapt from her head to rest in her lap.