The Covention

The Covention

Luz was reading her Good Witch Azura book to King and Evan while they all sat at Eda's human trash stall. It was an incredibly slow day. Not even a dozen people had passed the stall, let alone looked at what they were selling.
"Emboldened by the dishonor Hecate had shown, Azura lifted her staff to the cotton candy skies and shouted, 'I challenge you to a Witch's Duel'." She practically recited from the book before reaching for the corner, "And look! I drew a flip book!"
King leaned closer but Evan leaned back and shook his head.
"Yeah...I don't think this book is for me," He grumbled, "It's just kind of...meh?"
"Show me the picture!" King insisted, pushing his cousin out of the way, "Show me the picture!"
Luz held out the book so he could look. King's tail whipped back and forth as he looked at the picture.
"Weh! I can draw better than that!" He insisted, standing on the table, "I was once known as the King of Artists!"
"Sure you were, King," Evan stood from his stool to dig through the books Eda was trying to sell, not that there were many, before holding up an older sci-fi one. "Hey, Aunt Eda? Can I take this one? I'll put it back when I'm done."
"Yes! Please!" Eda groaned and rest her elbows on the table, "Anything is better than that flowery nonsense! It's scaring away all our serious customers!" She turned to look back down at him, "But if you keep it for more than a week you have to pay for it."
Luz frowned and looked down at her book. She liked it. King seemed to like it. Then she looked out at the empty street.
"Um, Eda? What customers?"
"She's got you there," Evan sat back on his stool, "Nobody is going to be coming out this way today and you know it."
"Why?" Luz tucked Azura back into her bag and turned, "What's going on today?"
"Something awful," Eda insisted, "But Evan's right. We might as well pack up and do potions instead."
"Luz! Evan!" Willow, Gus, and Amity rounded the corner.
"Something amazing is happening today!" Gus insisted, latching onto Evan as he reached the stall.
"It's the annual Covention." Amity leaned on the table, "And there's a special mystery guest this year!"
"It's no mystery," Evan set Gus back on the ground and put his new book in his bag, "It's my mom. She told us last week that she was going to be there."
"No," Amity turned to him, "She's listed on the guest roster. It's someone else."
Eda groaned. Luz stepped back around the table.
"Slow down, guys. What the heck is the Covention and why am I just now hearing about it?" She looked among her friends.
"It's a showcase for the covens," Evan explained, "My mom is the head of the Emperor's Coven and my dad is Head of the Abominations Coven. Titi Raine is part of the Bard Coven, stuff like that."
"It's so that all the student witches can get a chance to see the covens before they choose which one they want to join," Amity continued.
"So it's like a job fair in the human world!" Luz lit up, "But we don't usually start going to those until High School. Eda, can we go? I wanna see all the different kinds of magic!"
"Absolutely not." Eda crossed her arms. "There's a reason I never joined a coven and the only reason Raine did is because they needed to to be a teacher. When you join a coven you also give up your independence to join into their crooked system."
Willow, Gus, and Amity frowned. Luz looked up to give Eda her best puppy eyes. Eda sighed and looked away.
"Besides, I haven't been to one since we were kids."
Luz lit right back up, "Oh! Mysterious back story!"
"Come on, Aunt Eda," Evan stood by his friends, "It's not like we're selling anything today anyway and we finished all the potions yesterday."
"You'll get to see your sister," Willow tried to convince her.
"I see her all the time," Eda wasn't budging.
"You'll get to see Titi Raine at work," Evan lift an eyebrow.
Eda perked and turned. Then she shook her head and looked away.
"Nope. Not going to work." She crossed her arms, "Nice try, kids.
"You'll get to embarrass Amber while we're there?" King offered.
Luz smirked and pulled her book back out of her bag, "Hey, King? Do you want to practice reading from a new book?"
"No!" Eda whipped back around.
King happily took the book and began to read slowly, "'You shall not...sh-shan't do...doeth no more harm,' Azura called-callethed? out..."
Eda tried to escape through the portal door but Luz simply tossed King in after her. The door closed and the remaining four children stared at where it had been.
"So...Are we going to just go or..." Evan looked down at Luz.
She shook her head, "No. Just give her a second."
It had been a gamble that this would work and that Eda wouldn't just take the book away as many teachers and foster parents had done in the past. But Eda had seemed to be the best of both so far. The door opened again and Eda returned with King in her hair.
"Ok! Fine! We'll go! Just make it stop!" She begged.
Luz plucked the book from King's claws and stuffed it back in her bag, "Lead the way, guys!"
As they walked to the convention center, King and Luz struggled to help Eda force her thick hair into a cowl.
"Urg!" Eda growled, "Evan, put your hood up, too."
"Already done."
"Eda, is this really necessary?" Luz groaned before stepping back and pulling her own cat eared hood up.
"Do you think all of my wanted posters are for petty theft?" Eda asked, tucking the last of her hair into the hood, "Well, most of them are but the big reason is that I refused to join a coven."
"That's illegal?" Luz asked, tugging her hood closer.
"Yup," Evan readjusted his hold on his bag, "That's why I need to hide, too. My parents are coven heads. I can't be seen wandering around with the most famous wild witch on the Boiling Isles."
Luz swallowed thickly and looked around at her friends. How she wished she had Amber with her to help her make sense of everything. But all thoughts of the uneasy circumstances were driven from her mind as soon as they entered the convention center. Hundreds of booths filled the rooms, each and every one representing a different coven. High above the booths, hanging from the ceiling, were nine brightly colored banners. Each banner showed the sigil and a silhouette of the coven head.
"Those are the nine main covens," Willow explained.
Luz gaped up at them before turning and finding herself face to face with herself. She yelped and jumped back.
"I see you've been captured by the allure of the illusion coven," Gus chirped, skipping over to the nearby booth, "We like our magic with a bit of...flair."
Luz giggled as the two illusionists at the booth bowed deeply.
"Eda, this is amazing!" She spun around to face the older witch, "Acceptance, comradery, a sense of belonging!"
"That may be true, Pumpkin," Eda admitted, "But look."
Eda turned Luz around and knelt by her side as they watched a kid, not much older than Amber, receive a sigil for the illusion coven.
"When you join a coven and receive a sigil, the rest of your magic is sealed away." She explained, "From now on, that kid will only be able to do illusion magic."
Luz took a step back in Eda's arms. Eda grunted as she stumbled back to her feet.
"By never joining a coven, I can use all magic," She showed the kids her fire and water magic before dissipating them both.
Gus and Willow exchanged a look.
"But we can only do one kind of magic to begin with," Willow said, "There won't be any difference whether we join a coven or not."
Eda hummed and sighed, "True. There is that, too. But, the way things are, you don't even get a choice."
Luz looked up at her before Amity took her hand and led her deeper into the convention.
"Come on," She insisted, "There's still plenty to see. Even if you don't want to join a coven. You're here to see all the different kinds of magic, right?"
Luz smiled and nodded.
Eda kept a firm hold on King as she followed the older four through the hall. Her eyes sparked with mischief as they neared the bard booth and she spotted a certain minty haired bard. She scooped King up and plopped him down on the table. She rest her chin in her hands and kicked her leg.
"Hey, gorgeous," She purred, "What's a bard like you doing in a place like this."
Raine jumped and whipped around, hand over their chest, "Eda! What are you doing here?"
She chuckled and took a step back, "The kids blackmailed me. I figured I might as well have some fun while I'm here."
Amber popped around the wall with a handful of cheap instruments, "Mama! Luz! You actually came!"
She set the instruments safely to the side and rushed around the table. Eda happily took a hug from her before she dived over to hug Luz. Evan took a step back and held up his hands.
"Don't touch me."
Amber stuck her tongue out at him and hugged Luz closer, "What are you guys doing here?"
"I wanted to see all the different kinds of magic there are and we conned Eda into taking us," Luz proudly told her sister.
"Fantastic!"
"And you're sure it's safe for you all to be here?" Raine lift an eyebrow and leaned their elbows on the table, "You're not exactly known for being inconspicuous, Eda."
"I'm wearing red," She insisted, sitting on the table, "Here at the bard booth, no one will know the difference."
"Hey, Amber," Gus grinned and hugged her from the other side, "Do you want to show Luz around with us?"
"I don't know, guys," Amber deflated, "If I leave now, Zaza will be the only one at the booth."
"Katya and Derwin will be here soon," Raine assured her, "And I'll put your mother to work."
"Hey!"
They grinned and kissed her cheek, "Go on. Have fun. Grab all the free shit. Just remember to meet us by the entrance to the Emperor's Coven panel, ok?"
"Yes, Raine!"
"Yes, Zaza!"
Amber hurried to kiss both of her parents on the cheek and grab her brother before leading the way through the hall. Luz had been distracted by the excitement of the covention before but, now that she was looking around, she could see Eda's wanted posters on every wall. Somehow, they didn't look as impressive as the one hanging in the living room. Much like Eda had, Amber kept a tight hold on King to keep him from wandering off in pursuit of 'offerings'. Instead, she made sure he got all the free bags, pens, note pads, cups, and whatever else was being offered at the booths. And a few things that might not have been offered at all. Petty theft must run in the family. She also made sure that everyone ate something at each of the booths offering free samples. Luz hummed with delight as she ate a little fairy pie.
"Nothing in the human realm ever tasted this good!" She moaned.
Amber chuckled, "I think there may have been a reason for that."
Luz grinned and shoved the rest of the pie in her mouth as she looked around. Her gaze faltered on the doors to a panel hall. The doors were flanked by guards and one of the nine coven banners hung over the door. People were still pouring into the hall.
"That panel sure looks popular." She noted.
"That's the Emperor's Coven panel," Amity explained.
"And it's where we're supposed to meet Mama and Zaza here soon," Amber nodded.
"Do you think we can convince them to go in?" Luz looked up at her sister hopefully.
Amber hissed through her teeth.
"I don't know, Luz," Evan answered instead, "Aunt Eda doesn't really have the greatest track record if you'll remember. And that place is probably crawling with guards."
"But didn't you say that your mother was the head of the Emperor's Coven?"
"Ma's power only reaches so far," He crossed his arms, "It'll probably cause more trouble than good."
Luz's frown deepened.
"We're going to go see it," Gus said.
"Yeah," Amity scooted closer, "Maybe they'll let you come with us."
"Maybe..."
Amber led them over the stand around the pillar while they wait for the adults to arrive. They weren't waiting for long before Eda and Raine arrived, hand in hand.
"Alright. How many rugrats do we have for the rest of the day?" Eda asked, already counting the children.
"The three of us are going in to see the Emperor's Coven," Willow said.
"And I'm going to go with them since Ma's already here." Evan explained.
Luz shuffled quietly and looked down at the floor. Raine frowned.
"Can Luz come with us?" Gus bounced forward.
Eda hummed and looked over at the guards. "Yeah...I don't think that's a good idea. We can't hang around here for much longer. I'm pretty sure I've already been recognized."
Luz nodded, "That's ok. I already got to see the booth. I'm good."
Amity, Gus, and Willow exchanged a sad look but they nodded. She hugged all of them once more and they all wandered into the panel. Eda took King from Amber. Luz took Amber's now empty hand and reached out to take Raine's offered hand. However, no sooner had they turned around than a man pointed out Eda and her family.
"On second thought," Raine took a step back, "Maybe it would be a good idea for Luz to actually see what the Emperor's Coven can do."
"Yeah...Good idea..." Eda turned and followed her partner and children into the panel hall.
Luz struggled to hold back her excitement as Raine led her over to where Amity, Gus, and Willow were sitting.
"What happened?" Willow asked as Luz, Amber, and Evan sat with them.
"Someone saw Mama and she and Zaza thought it would be easier to hide out for a little bit," Amity shrugged before smiling down at Luz, "That's fine by me. Now Luz might actually get to meet Aunt Lily."
That thought alone nearly had Luz vibrating in her seat. She jumped and turned to the stage as Principal Bump stepped up and summoned a microphone to his hand.
"Hello, students." He began, "People ask me all the time, 'Principal Bump, what's the height of magical achievement?'"
"Oh! Oh! Is it this?" A boy in the front row attempted a levitation spell he, apparently, wasn't ready for and sent himself flying back up the bleachers.
Bump stared at the boy, "Wow. I've failed you as a principal...It's being chosen to join a coven. And there are none better than the jewel of the coven system: The Emperor's Coven!"
Several masked witches appeared around the room. Luz gasped and siddled closer to Raine and Eda. The guards began to demonstrate the magic they were capable of.
"Each member of the Emperor's Coven is hand picked to usher in a new age of controlled magic," Bump continued, "Members of the Emperor's Coven have access to all forms of magic. Yes, all! And, someday, that could be you."
Amity squeaked and drew her knees to her chest.
Bump chuckled and the Coven Guards vanished. A slimy shadow passed over the walls behind him and slithered around the room.
"But only the best can ascend to the highest ranks. And let me introduce two of those very special few. The esteemed leaders of the Emperor's Coven and the Abomination Coven, Coven Head Couple: Lilith Clawthorn and Darius Daemmone!"
Luz sat forward on the seat. A glowing blue raven appeared near the ceiling and the slimy shadow slithered across the floor again. In a flash of blue light, a tall, pale woman in a long black dress appeared on stage. Her thick black hair hung in thick curls down her back. Beside her rose a pillar of abomination goo that, with little more than a spin, developed into a man even taller than she was. His hair itself seemed to be made out of abomination and his cape fluttered dramatically in the nonexistent breese.
"That feels better," He declared, looking out over the crowd.
The crowd burst into applause and cheers. Evan pulled his hood further down before standing on his seat to cheer.
Lilith rolled her eyes and turned to face them, "Thank you all. It wasn't easy for us to rise to the top."
Darius nodded and smiled, "Like many of you, we both started from humble beginnings right here in Bonesborough."
"Wow. They are really eating it up this year," Eda whispered.
Raine snorted. Luz wiggled forward on her seat.
"That's Eda's sister?" She whispered, looking up at Amber.
Amber nodded, clapping politely as she watched, "Yup, Aunt Lily and Uncle Darius."
"Maybe when this is over I can introduce you," Evan slipped off his seat to sit back down.
Luz began to vibrate again. Amber chuckled and shook her head. She looked over her shoulder to see her parents whispering and giggling. She rolled her eyes and looked back forward.
As soon as the demonstration was over, Amity and Evan grab Luz's hands and dragged her out the door to meet the coven heads. Amber, Gus, and Willow followed more slowly with Eda, Raine, and King trailing behind. It took them a couple moments to find them but Evan was more than happy to sprint forward and push his way through the crowd of children surrounding his parents.
"Ma! Pa!" He hugged them both tight around the middles.
"Evan?" Lilith stumbled before hugging her son happily.
Darius grinned and wrapped one arm around his son's shoulders, "What on the Isles are you doing here, Little Prince? I thought you were with your Titi."
"We conned them into letting us come," He grinned and waved over his friends, "Ma. Pa. Meet Luz Noceda. She's the human that's staying with Titi Raine and Aunt Eda for the summer. Luz, these are my parents."
Luz felt her face grow warm as she looked up at the intimidating adults. Though Lilith wasn't any taller than Eda was, Darius was taller than all of them. The other children that had been crowded around began to wander off. She felt her legs shake. Why was she even more nervous about meeting them than she had been when she found out that Raine and Eda were her missing parents?
Amber put a hand on her shoulder and gently led her forward. Luz waved. Lilith smiled down at her.
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Noceda."
"Indeed," Darius offered her one gloved hand, "Evan's been talking about you since you arrived."
"R-Really? Amber's told me a lot about you, too." Luz swallowed thickly and looked up at Amber.
Amber smiled and nodded back, "You'll never know if you never ask them. Go ahead."
Luz turned back to Darius and Lilith, "I-Is it alright if I call you Aunt Lily and Uncle Darius, too? I've only ever had my Tia Camela and I don't even remember Tio Manny. It's ok if you say no! But-"
"Luz," Darius held up one hand, "It's alright. It's perfectly fine with me if you want to call me Uncle Darius. After all, you are living with my little sibling. Why wouldn't you be allowed to call me that?"
"I second that," Lilith said, not letting go of Evan, "You are free to call me Aunt Lily if you would like. If Amber and Evan consider you family, why shouldn't we."
Amber grinned and hugged her tightly. Luz ripped free of her sister's hold and dived to hug her aunt and uncle. Even without knowing who she really was, they were willing to accept her. Only Tia Camela had ever done that! Lilith looked up and frowned.
"Edalyn? What are you doing here?"
Eda smiled and stepped up with the kids, "Oh, I just had to make sure the rugrats didn't get into any trouble. And I just had to see the Heads of the covens."
Lilith's frown didn't shift. She tightened her hold on Evan like she didn't trust her own sister with him. "You shouldn't be here! You're a wanted criminal. You're wanted posters are all over the place!"
Luz looked between them but Amber just shook her head and pulled her back by the shoulders.
"It'll be ok," She promised, "I'll explain later."
Luz swallowed and watched as Raine shook their head and exchanged a look with Darius. He tapped Lilith on the shoulder and nodded aside. Lilith turned and sighed.
"You think being covenless makes you stronger but Darius and I are ushering in a new generation of magical students into the world." Lilith's entire demeanor changed as she sneered at her sister, "Even your partner knows that the way to do so is through the covens."
Raine shook their head and held their hands up in surrender, "I would like to be left out of this."
Eda glared, "Oh yeah? Didn't the kids tell you why Luz is staying with us over the summer? It's because she's my apprentice. Besides, I'm pretty sure Rainestorm and I could still mop the floor with the two of you any day."
"I said I would like to be left out of this," Raine repeated.
"Like in a Witches Duel?"
Amber slammed her hand over Luz's mouth and shushed her. But it was too late. All four adults had turned their attention back to the kids. After a moment, Darius turned back to Raine and Eda.
"We haven't dueled in years."
"You two could duel like Azura and Hecate! They fight like sisters all the time!" (1) Luz grinned and pried Amber's hand away from her face, "You guys said that the Emperor's Coven can use all forms of magic. So can Eda since she never joined a coven at all. So it'll be a fair fight."
The adults stared down at her.
"I like her." Darius announced, "She uses her head."
Lilith turned her glare to her husband before turning back to Eda, "Alright, sister."
With a twirl of her finger, every wanted poster in the hall vanished in blue flames. Luz grinned but when she looked up at Amber, she didn't see the smile she was expecting. Amber was frowning as she watched the flames.
"For one day, you won't have to hide." Lilith swore, "Meet me in the panel hall in one hour, and we'll see who's really the strongest witch on the Boiling Isles."
With that, and one arm still wrapped around Evan's shoulders, she turned on her heel and marched off. Darius rolled his eyes, gave Raine another look and marched off. Eda huffed and turned as well. Raine sighed and rounded up the kids.
"Come on, you all. Let's get some real food in you before we have to watch this."
Eda spun around as she dropped her cowl and grinned, "Ah, don't be so serious, Rainestorm! It's just Lils."
"Yes. But you still have to make it convincing." Raine said, "The last thing you want is for anything to go wrong or for the two of them to actually have to arrest you."
"I can break out of the Conformitorium no problem," Eda shrugged, "Heck, we busted Katya out last week."
Luz chuckled but stopped as she noticed Amber lagging behind. She turned and trot back to her sister's side.
"Amber? What's wrong?"
Amber shook her head, "I told you it would be fine. I told you that I would explain later. You should have just stayed quiet!"
"But-"
"No, Luz!" Amber grabbed her arm and dragged her into a corner of the hall, "Mama and Aunt Lily weren't actually fighting. Why do you think Zaza and Uncle Darius didn't do anything?"
Luz blinked and looked down. Amber sighed.
"Mama and Zaza and Aunt Lily and Uncle Darius have to pretend to be enemies because, otherwise, all four of them will get tossed in jail or worse." She explained, "And, if Mama loses the duel, she could still be tossed in jail or forced to join a coven against her will."
"I-I'm sorry. I didn't know! I just wanted-"
"I know," Amber relaxed some and slid down the wall to sit on the floor, "You haven't been here long and none of us have really explained anything...Not about the Boiling Isles, not about us or our family, not about magic. I should have explained earlier or at least explained some of it."
Luz shook her head and sat next to her, "No. I should have listened when you said that you would explain later. I just...I didn't want them to fight anymore. I figured an organized fight like a witches duel with, you know, rules, would be better than a shouting match in the hall about how we shouldn't be here..."
"Hey, you belong here! No matter what anyone has told you before." Amber dragged her into a hug with one arm. "Besides, do you really think Mama's going to play by the rules?"
Luz chuckled, "Probably not."
Amber nodded, "I'm sorry I yelled at you. I promise, I'll explain what I know when we get home."
"It's alright. I just hope this doesn't ruin my chances of getting to know Aunt Lily and Uncle Darius."
Amber shrugged, "Doubt it. There might just be some hoops we'll have to jump through for it."
"Amber? Luz? Are you two alright?" Raine leaned around the corner, "Eda and I got notdogs and sour potato fries."
"Coming, Zaza." Amber stood and helped Luz to her feet, "We got into a bit of an argument but we're all better now."
Raine smiled and put an arm around each of the girls, leading them over to the table where everyone Eda, King, and Willow were sitting. At a table not too far away, Lilith and Darius sat with Evan, Gus, and Amity, eating food that they had packed."
LLB
Luz sat between Amber and Raine in the bleachers of the panel hall while they wait for the duel to begin. Lilith stood at one end of the arena, closer to the stage, and Eda stood at the other. Evan, Gus, and Amity were back with them in the bleachers but Darius had taken a spot on the stage that even Luz found a bit suspicious.
"Beloved citizens, we are here to present an impromptu demonstration of the Emperor's Coven's strongest." He announced, "A witches duel between Lilith Clawthorn, Head Witch of the Emperor's Coven, and The Owl Lady."
"Why do I get the feeling this is going to go very poorly..." Luz whispered.
Raine placed a hand on her back, "It'll be fine, Luz. If I know Eda, she's got something up her sleeve."
Luz nodded and leaned forward to watch. The starting bell rang and Eda and Lilith stepped forward. Lilith attacked first, summoning her palisman and firing a stream of bright blue fire at her sister.
Evan stood on his seat once more. "Go, Ma!"
Eda danced deftly out of the way and summoned Owlbert. She fired a return volley of golden fire right back. Lilith met the fire with her own. Darius scurried to the other side of the stage.
"Kick her ass, Mama!" Amber shouted.
Luz gaped up at her sister. Was she allowed to swear like that?
Lilith stopped her attack and dived out of the way. She ran and fired a new wave of fire at Eda. Eda simply ducked and dragged her foot in a circle on the floor. A giant terracotta Hooty rose from under her feet.
"Yes! That's my girlfriend!" Raine cheared, standing from their own seat.
"Pretty sure I'm a little more than that, Rainestorm!" Eda shouted back as she leapt off the top of the Hooty.
However, when she hit the ground, her feet shot out from under her and she slid across a field of Abomination slime. Darius grinned as he leapt off the stage and stood at Lilith's side.(2)
"Hey!" Willow gasped, "Interference! This is one on one!"
"Since when was this duel two against one?" Eda glared at the duo.
"Well, if you're "the strongest witch on the Boiling Isles" shouldn't you be able to handle two coven heads?" Darius mocked.
Eda grinned and summoned Owlbert back to her hand, "Oh, bring it on!"
"That wasn't part of the deal!" Luz stood up and looked over the railing.
"Go, Ma! Go, Pa! Go, Ma! Go, Pa!" Evan and Gus danced on their seats and sang.(3)
"You guys aren't helping!" She turned to them.
Eda summoned more terracotta Hootys to combat the Abominations that marched across the rink. She easily blocked another blast from Lilith but was sent sliding across the abomination slime and against the wall, unable to gain any traction.
"Um, Zaza? I think it might be time to even the playing field?" Amber looked up at her other parent.
Raine hummed and nodded, "Yes. I think you might be right. Here, take King."
They handed the younger child over and jumped over the railing. Luz yelped and watched them fall. Raine flipped over mid air, summoning their Violin as they moved. They landed on the ice and spun in place to keep from toppling over as Eda had. With a single stroke across the strings, Lilith's fire was cut off.
"Need a little backup, Calamity?"
"Aw, you say the darndest things," Eda mock cooed, "I'll take mine, you take yours."
"With pleasure," Raine grinned and bolted across the abomination slime like a speed skater.
Eda leapt into the air and flew away on her staff. She landed deftly on top of one of her Hootys and sent a new volley of spells at Lilith. Darius and Lilith were forced back to back as Raine rounded the arena and fired volleys of bard magic at Darius.
"Using my own tricks against me, Whispers?" Darius growled, ducking before gliding across the slime on his own.
"You're the one who made the mistake of teaching me," Raine egged him on.
An abomination rose out of the slime behind them and Raine gasped. They tried to pick up speed but Darius appeared in front of them. Raine grinned. They vanished their violin and dived, sliding across the slime and between Darius's legs. They kept back up behind him and kicked him in the back, just hard enough to send him toppling forward.
Amber and King cheered, jumping on the seats now. Luz felt like her brain was buzzing. Had she not been gripping the railing with a white knuckled grip, her hands would have been shaking. This was nothing like the witches duels she had read about. She looked over at Amity and was astonished to see the other book worm throwing mock punches at the arena.
"Get back up! Get back up!" Amity shouted, "Take out their knees!"
She turned her attention back to the arena. Eda laughed and jumped off the Hooty's head to fly away from her sister once more. Lilith growled and tried to take flight with her own palisman. Eda turned.
"Good night, Sissy!" She called and twirled her finger.
From the body of the latest terracotta Hooty came another Hooty that swallowed Lilith whole. For a second, the arena was silent. The kids stopped jumping and shouting; Darius and Raine stopped fighting; the crowds stopped shouting. Then, in a blink of blue light, Lilith reappeared behind Eda. She hit her with another blast that launched the younger Clawthorn through several Hooty's and into the far wall. Darius spun from his spot laying on the slime and used a blast of abomination to send Raine across the arena and sticking to the far wall.
"No!" Luz and Amber leaned over the railing, only Willow keeping them and King from jumping over.
Eda looked up at her sister with the most pitiful expression she could muster, "Wait, Lily. The curse."
Lilith and Darius stopped in their tracks. Raine looked over at their partner, tears filling their eyes. Luz frowned and Looked up at Amber.
"Look at my face." Eda begged, "It's getting stronger."
"It's the only reason she talked me into not sending her and the kids straight home when they showed up here," Raine insisted.
Darius twirled his finger and the abomination slime holding Raine in place slid away.
"I-I just had to see my sister one last time," Tears were rolling down Eda's cheeks now.
Luz felt her heart stop. Was it true? Was Eda's curse so bad that she was that sick? How much time did they have left?
Lilith lowered her staff and sighed, "I'll admit I was...surprised when I saw you today. And not just to see you here."
Huh? But hadn't Eda told Willow that she saw Lilith all the time?
"Eda, I-Gah!" A bag of Hexmix slapped her in the face.
*FWEE!*
A blast of bard magic sent Darius sailing across the arena. Eda pulled out Owlbert and leap on, dragging Raine alone with her.
"It's been fun but let's call it a draw!" She shouted over her shoulder.
Luz was the only one not laughing.
"Come on," Amber managed around her laughs, "We should go and find them."
Luz nodded and turned to follow her sister out of the hall.
"Actually, I should head down there and meet up with my parents." Evan said, "I can't exactly sneak away with a wanted criminal at this point. Even if Ma made it go away for the day."
"Alright. See you later, Evan." Amber waved him off.
"Yeah, we should head out, too." Willow admitted, "We've been a bit longer than I told my dads we'd be."
Amber nodded and waved Luz along.
"Are all witches duels like that?" She asked.
"Nah. They were hamming it up for the crowd," Amber told her, "Remember, none of them actually wanted to hurt each other. It may have looked like a lot but that was little more than games at a family reunion."
Luz nodded slowly, "Alright. So...they were kind of just goofing around?"
"Yeah. But they gotta make it look real," King told her, "Or else everyone gets in trouble."
"Oh. Ok."
"Well, what did you kids think?" Eda and Raine hurried around the corner to meet up with them.
Amber raised her hand, "Permission to swear, parents?"
"Granted," Eda held her head high like a drill sergeant.
"It looked like you opened a can of whoop ass on them." She grinned and tossed King back at them, "I think at least one of you gave poor Luz a heart attack though."
"You jumped the railing!"
Raine waved a hand, "Ah, that was nothing, Mia Stella. I once launched myself clear to the roof of this place."
"What!?"
Eda put a hand on each her and Amber's shoulders, "But that's a story for another time. We should head out before the two of them realize we glued their shoes together."
"GAHHH!"
All five of them winced.
"Time to go."
Eda ushered the girls ahead of her and towards the doors. Luz looked up at the sign hanging above the doors.
"Come back soon! (We'll get you eventually)".
She shuttered and turned her attention back to her family, "So, siblings, huh? I can't wait to meet your parents."
"I think that could be arranged," Raine nodded, hoisting King up onto their shoulder, "Mom and Nini would probably love to meet you."
LLB
Evan held the dressing room door open for his parents. Lilith grumbled as she and Darius were forced to hop along, shoes still stuck together.
"I'm going to kill them both the next time I see them," Darius threatened.
"You and me both." Lilith tumbled forward and groaned, "Little Prince? Would you mind getting us our spare shoes?"
"Yeah, I'm on it." He rolled his eyes and dug into the bag his parents had brought with them as if they had anticipated something like this happening.
The sound of a tinkling bell filled the room and both Lilith and Darius groaned. Lilith grabbed her compact communicator.
"Lilith, Darius. I see you let the Owl Lady and her partner get the better of you both." Kikimora appeared on the tiny screen.
Evan siddled closer to the wall to stay out of sight. He had never liked it when the demon called his parents like this or and the last thing he wanted was to have her address him.
"Remember what the Emperor has promised you," She continued, "And it certainly doesn't look good for the "Coven Head Couple" to lose to a wild witch and a no-name bard."
"We are well aware, Ma'am." Darius assured her.
"We will capture the Owl Lady. Make no mistake of that," Lilith promised.
"That's wonderful to hear," Kikimora's smile would have been cute had she not sounded so threatening before her image vanished from the mirror.
Evan shuttered. Lilith and Darius both hopped over to the sofa in the corner and collapsed onto it with a groan. He brought over both pairs of boots and set them on the floor. Then, he wedged himself between them and pulled his knees to his chest.
"Well. This has been a hell of a day," Darius groaned.
"You're telling me," Lilith replied, bending over to untie her boots, "I'm just glad it's over."
Darius grunted as he tried to wrench his feet from his own boots. Once he was free, he sat back on the sofa and draped one arm around Evan.
"Did you at least have fun today, Little Prince?" He asked.
Evan smiled and nodded, "Yeah. It was a lot of fun showing Luz around. And watching you two fight Aunt Eda and Titi Raine is always a bonus. Even if it's just because you have to."
"Well, considering we get to leave early now," Lilith tied on her new boots and leaned back as well, "How about we all go out for dinner tonight. The three of us. And we can even watch something on the crystal ball when we get home."
Evan lit up, "Yes! The new Cosmic Frontier movie just made it over from the human realm. Can we watch that?"
"I don't see why not." Darius sat up and slipped on his new boots, "As long as it's not as bad as movie three was."
"I don't think so. It's an even numbered one so it's supposed to be good." Evan insisted, standing and dancing in front of his parents while he wait for them.
Lilith and Darius each took one of his hands and let him lead them out of the convention hall. There was nothing more for them to worry about. For today, at least.

1)Based on my little sister who was very convinced that Xena and Gabriel were meant to be sisters until she was well into highschool. Ironically, she's also Bi.
2)Darius uses Ice Rink. It's super effective!
3)Gus is just one of those kids who refers to his best friend's parents as "Mom and Dad" too.