Our Melody

Our Melody

Lilith took a deep breath as she approached her sister's house in the forest. Darius had a late meeting with his abomination trainees and that left her to collect their son today. Soon, she could see Raine leading Amber in a dance with their violin and Eda dancing to the side with Evan.

"Oh, Evan!" Eda grinned and turned, "Look who's here."

The two-year-old squealed and wiggled in his aunt's arms, "Mama! Mama! Mama!"

She couldn't help the smile that spread over her face as she hurried the last few steps to take her baby.

"Hello, Little Prince," She cooed, "Did you behave for Aunt Eda and Titi Raine?"

"He's a goody two shoes is what he is," Eda crossed her arms, "Too much like his Mama."

Evan stuck his tongue out at her. Lilith rolled her eyes.

"Aunt Lily!" Amber broke away from her dance to hug her aunt around the middle.

"Hello, Amber. Have you been having fun with Evan and Zaza?"

"Uh huh!" Amber's baby fangs were only just beginning to come in, "Evan's real good at dancing! And he really likes playing with Owlbert and Fidds."

Raine stepped up to Eda's side and whispered in her ear. She groaned and nodded, kissing them on the cheek.

"Actually, Lily, before you and Evan head out, there's something that I wanted to talk to you about." She stepped forward, "How about Rainstorm takes the kids inside for a snack while we talk?"

"Edalyn? Is something wrong?" Lilith didn't resist as Raine took Evan from her arms.

"Don't worry," They assure her, "I won't fill him full of sugar."

"Nothing's WRONG," Eda explained, dragging her sister closer to the trees while her partner took the children into the house, "It's just that we haven't really told anyone yet. Not even Amber. And YOU can't tell anyone either. Maybe Darius but definitely not Mom."

"Edalyn? What-"

"I'm pregnant."

Lilith stared at her, "What?"

"I'm pregnant," Eda repeated, "Raine and I are going to have a baby!"

Lilith continued to stare.

"Lily?" Eda's smile wavered.

She shook her head, "W-Who else knows?"

"Just Rainstorm and I," Eda admitted, "We're telling their parents tonight but, like I said, we haven't even told Amber yet. How do you even explain that to a four year old?"

Lilith shook her head again. She and Eda had only reconnected three years ago when Darius and Raine had forced them. Did that really warrant being the second person she told? Did she deserve to be in Eda's life at all after what she had done?

"H-How far along are you?" She eventually asked.

"About four months," Eda rest her hand on her belly, "We...We wanted to be sure that everything would be ok. You know, with the cure and everything. Just in case."

Lilith's stomach rolled.

"Raine even dragged me to see a healer," Eda continued, "They insisted she was safe. She even has a daughter Evan's age. Everything looked ok then but we decided to wait until we could feel them moving around in there."

Her carefully guarded walls broke. Lilith wrapped her arms around her sister's neck to hug her. She couldn't help the single sob that slipped past her lips.