JANNISON DEPARTMENT STORE

The time clearly flew by with the walk to the actual city of Panlas. It was a breath of fresh air, literally and metaphorically, to see a city that I wasn't used to. Lain was in lead in the part she clearly knew her way around like the back of her hand. The city was more than I had expected, there were pop up shops, a large brand mall, street vendors, and anything that mixed in the miscellaneous sections. Panlas was better than my small, cramped neighborhood in Florida. That one story, three bedroom, one bath house stored childhood memories and thoughts. All I wanted to rid of from my already plan-wired brain. I had to have some fun, and being at the campus really helped out. Percy, Lain, they both understood and accepted. A feeling I have never felt from remembrance until now.

Even with a small step over, my hand was grabbed and I was pulled back. It was Lain staring at me with concern, her hand still in mine. I immediately felt a type of embarrassment. Embarrassment felt like an understatement; I was flustered beyond belief. My stupid rambling would start if I even opened my mouth. It was stuck like that anyway, but my lips had to be metaphorically zipped, sewn shut and padlocked at this point. God, this process made me look like a whole idiot. I had to stare in awe and absolute joy with my watercolored blue eyes.

"Fara, you could've gotten yourself killed," Lain would sigh in her soft tone and concerned manner, "These roads are...busy. Maybe it's best if I could even lead you guys across. Percy, are you still there-?"

Lain's hand stayed intertwined with my own, I felt very odd, but there was a positive tone to this odd. Anxieties stomach butterflies felt more free, less ache-y. We both scanned the area behind us, Percy was not there. I huffed through my nose like a type of angry bull.

"I hope he's not lost again. Took me to the medical training facility, and now I just realized he was holding the brochure map upside down." I scoffed at this, Percy was missing? He really was a character.

"Guys! Over here, thought you'd already cross the street!" I heard that familiar voice, Percy had already crossed. Lain and I turned to look at each other in shock. I think we forgot our hands were still together. Maybe it was the sheer coincidence of distraction or something more. The thought it coincidentally happened was already implemented in my brain. God, if this was a form of real relationship it wouldn't be with a maniac like me, a literal nobody in fact. People were already starting to stare and swarm.

"It's Lain McAllen!" A completely random stranger excitedly tried rushing over. True gut instincts hit and I pushed this stranger away. I took a bolt for it once it was clear to cross. Lain stumbled behind and picked up to my pace. Thank God we crossed the road in one piece, dodging cars was a horrible rush of adrenaline. It hurt my lungs, I knew I would never get used to bolting considering my isolation. There was no activity; I always had to stare at the ceiling like it was drying paint surrounded by stuffed animals as the world burned, rebuilt, burned again. In the age of sending your homeschooled kid to college fresh from the chopping block of senior year.

Our hands drifted apart a while ago, my hands on my knees as I was in the awkward stage of heaving and wheezing. The air in my lungs burnt, but I would soon get over it. "Oookay, okay- I'm fine-" I murmured in heavy breaths. My hands would soon lift off of my knees just to feel like a million eyes were watching me. I stood still, blanking out like an idiot. Either they saw me as a weirdo near the possibly most famous person in the town or as a genuine creep just heaving on the sidewalk after crossing a busy road. Percy looked down at me like he knew something was up. I glanced back at him. "Are you going to put a flashlight in my eyes again?"

"No, no. I just think you...maaaybe have asthma?"
"Cut the shit dude-" I laughed while gaining my composure again. But that glance actually did seem a bit genuine, the hint of concern through his goofy, brotherly attitude. I sighed while huffing through my nose a bit like I was mad. It was in a joking way and a this point I thought he could tell. "You can diagnose me when we get back to the dorms." I finally sighed in defeat, Percy nodded like something was actually wrong with me. He truly meant no offence, but it felt a little concerning he keeps thinking I have all these underlying health symptoms. He probably was a huge medical nerd before he came to Panlas.