I

Among the silence that prevailed around her, enshrouding her haven with peace, the sudden interruption shook her to the core.

The doorbell rang, signaling her about someone's appearance at the door.

Her eyes stared blankly at the door of her room as she huffed, thinking who would be there at this hour.

She bent a little as her hair dangled by her shoulder. She grabbed her jacket and put it on before she walked downstairs to open the door for the person.

The silence was spread around her house as the visitor didn't knock twice. She was home alone, expecting nobody by her side, but as her father had many partners and guests visit him from time to time, she thought it would be one of them.

However, her father wasn't even home.

The sound of her footsteps could be heard as she walked downstairs, holding the railing.

Another time the visitor interrupted her and she had no other way than to reply loudly, "Yeah, just coming!" as she walked to the door.

She opened the door slightly and found a bulky man standing before her curious brown eyes. He was dressed in black and she wondered if he was a bank agent.

At this hour? She mused, eyes narrowing at the man. She doubted him, no wonder. She stood confused, wondering if the man knew about her father and wanted to visit him.

"Um. . . sorry, Mister, but do we know you?" She had nothing else to ask. She needed to confirm first.

Her voice was soft even if she asked the man about his identity. It held no accusation but the respect within the tone made the man smile slightly. However, it was a forced one and Delilah could see it.

Maybe the man wasn't fond of smiling often, she concluded in a fleeting moment yet never passed a comment.

"I'm Maddox, Miss," he tipped his head, "Judas' friend. Your father, if I've guessed correctly." At this, Delilah nodded her head. Impressed, he added, "We planned on meeting today."

Delilah was still suspicious about this. It wasn't her fault. She always doubted men with mysterious auras like the man who stood before her eyes. He possessed some dark aura that made her coil behind the door. Not only does his appearance demand attention as well as submission but his voice, too.

But then, what if he's truly her father's friend?

It wasn't the first time she was meeting her father's friend. Many came. So many meetings he held at home, in his study room and Delilah has seen and even met with some of them.

All of them were intimidating and rarely smiled.

"Oh, pardon me! But sir, Dad isn't home. He's out of town, as he told me. Regarding some work," she told him honestly, letting a polite smile capture her lips. At the same moment, she even loosened her grip on the doorknob, realizing there was no threat.

A frown appeared on the man's face. It masked bitter enough to reach her eyes as she stood confused by the sudden change.

"He isn't home," his jaw flexed, "or you're lying?" A hint of annoyance could be sensed by her in his bitter tone. A tight crease appeared between his eyebrows, yet the look in his eyes remained hidden behind the dark goggles that we wore.

Delilah blinked in confusion. "Sorry, but why would I lie to you?" Her voice came out edgy at the absurd accusation the man just marked her with.

"Enough!" The man roared, taking her by surprise when he pushed the door wide open, making her stumble back as she landed right on her butt.