XIII

P A S T  T I M E

The following morning, the day was bright and hot.

Yawning and patting her mouth, her soft slippers rubbed against the wooden floor of her room. The edge of her white silly pajama almost kissed the ground as she walked up to the sliding doors and grabbed the curtains of her room to push them aside.

Darkness vanished the moment her curtains slid away, followed by the doors that made a rough sound. 

She sighed and stepped out of the white-painted boundary, looking up at the sky which was bright blue. The sun was high, shining with all its might and spreading a glow and warmth that was high enough to torture anybody.

"This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it."

Speaking out what the Word of God said was her habit every morning. She always did it, never minding if something wrong happened that day because all the while, the supernatural peace inside her helped her fight every single battle.

The perfect peace of God inside her was something that she never wanted to lose and it stays with those whose mind is on God because they trust in Him.

Right in front of her was the man who enticed her every time he caught her eye.

He wasn't aware of her or was he?

Her very eyes, the very next moment, were called by his appearance as he was on the balcony of his room. It was alluring and habitual for a neighbor to catch a glimpse of each other and Delilah couldn't be blamed for it.

Her smile widened, her eyes twinkling like stars at the view of the man.

Holding a cup of coffee in his hand, he was relishing the fresh taste of it. His eyes were set down on his laptop which was set before him while his fingers skillfully danced upon the keyboard.

Very early in the morning, he spent working, Delilah couldn't help but wonder.

"Hey, Mr Vincent!" She grabbed his attention, waving her hand at him as her sleeve slipped down her elbow, but the smile never slipped off her lips.

His fingers ceased for an immeasurable second on the keyboard as he looked at her. "Good morning!" He heard her but said nothing. He didn't even give her a gesture of acknowledgment and continued working.

He ignored her.

Delilah gaped at him for what he did but she couldn't say anything to him. However, the fact that he was ultra rude to her wasn't easy enough to be digested by her.

She wondered if such people existed but seeing him, she never questioned in her heart again if such people existed or not. She saw one of them and she didn't like that rudeness.

Not saying a word to him, she walked inside to get ready for her college.

He saw her sliding back the curtains of her room but the doors remained open.

The afternoon of the second day, she came home early from her classes and decided to spend some time working instead of going to bed and sleeping until sundown.

Before that, she took a cold shower and changed into a pair of denim shorts. The top she chose was a crop top, bearing colorful horizontal lines over the cream background of it.

Her father wasn't home. He was in the office so she had no one to talk to.

The sun was high in the sky, burning brighter than the previous days according to its season. The clothes hanging in the yard of her house were dried.