Side Story 1, Part 5: Hvile

"Big sis... big sis... wake up..." the sound of a small, quivering voice barely permeated the silent room as the little boy gently shook the unconscious body on the bed. He sniffled when she wouldn't wake up, pushing her a bit harder and finally getting a reaction. A small grumble was heard from the lump on the bed, followed by a stretch. She shifted and groggily looked at the smaller boy, dressed in pajamas and holding onto his favorite plushie.

"Cyno... did you have a bad dream again?" She asked softly, reaching over and flicking away a few of his tears. The little boy nodded with a hiccup and a humming confirmation. She lifted her blankets, patting the spot next to her, "Come on. Big sis Dehya's got you." The boy scrambled onto the bed, nuzzling closely to the girl who wrapped her arms around him. "What was your dream about this time?"

He clung to her tighter and said, "I- that... voice was back. And he told me... all these bad things would happen if I didn't let him in... let him in... he kept saying that... I don't know what that means... he showed me this... this town... covered in snow and ice and-"

"Sh sh," she hushed him when his breathing began to pick up, "Here. I can make you feel better." Dehya leaned over, going into a tiny, rickety bed side table and pulling out an oil. He shut his eyes and she dabbed a bit onto her thumb and then pressed it into his forehead, whispering words Cyno couldn't understand. When she pulled her hand away, he was met with a smile, "Now he won't be able to bother you again for a while. Okay? And if he comes back Big sis will beat his butt. Now get some sleep. Miss Candace is gonna be mad if we're up all night again." Dehya pulled Cyno into another hug, making sure the boy soundly slept before she could.

"Listen, they're very close. I know your heart is set on Dehya, but is there really no way you can take him in with you?"

"We can't afford two children. And he's not like her. It'll be... difficult."

"I know. I understand. But splitting them apart... it's not fair to the-"

"Miss Candace," the young boy stumbled into the office, hiccuping and looking between the two adults. He rubbed his eyes before wobbling over to a rather tall lady, "Miss Candace, I don't feel good." The woman looked over to the man in the room before lifting up the small boy and resting her hand on her forehead.

"No temperature. Is your belly hurting again?" She tsked, "That's no good. Let's continue this conversation in a moment." She didn't wait for a response, walking out of the room with Cyno collected in her arms.

Clinging to Candace, he muttered, "Is Big sis getting adopted?"

The woman hesitated for a moment, her pace slowing, "...Maybe. How does that make you feel, Cyno?"

"Mmm..." Cyno contemplated for a moment, clinging tighter to the woman, "Would she visit me?"

"We could definitely ask. The person who wants to adopt her is a very nice man. I doubt he'd stop you from seeing Dehya." Candace hummed softly as she entered Cyno's shared room, laying him on the bed and tucking him in tightly.

"Then... I think I'd be okay..." a small pout came to the boys face, "I'd miss Big sis Dehya. But... she wants a home too. That's not here. So I'd be happy."

"What about you? Do you want a home?" Candace was scrounging through the bedside table on the other side of the room, Dehya's, pulling out a small bottle of oil and approaching Cyno. "Close your eyes, Cyno. I need to do my big girl magic for you." Cyno squeezed his eyes shut in response.

"I... I'd like a mommy..." Cyno muttered, hearing Candace use those words he couldn't understand, "A nice one. That won't cut my hair like the other ladies do. And that feed me soup when my tummy hurts. And color with me. And read my bed time stories that I like. And I want a sister, like Big sis. And a bed that doesn't creak at night. And warm pancakes every morning that are shaped like hearts. And I want my family to eat with me. All the other kids don't eat with me. Or like me... only Big sis does."