Chapter 3A

Garrett stared blindly out the window, his thoughts not on the familiar scenery of London but on what he'd heard at Commons. Although he wasn't required to be in Parliament today for the Lords had no sitting today, but he'd wanted to hear what was being debated in the Commons.

And it'd buoyed his spirits to hear that there would be a call of the house on 2 June regarding the renewal of the suspension of the Habeas Corpus Act.

However, not enough was being done about other reform matters. His exasperation was at its peak and he was now headed to his boxing club so that he might have the chance to work off some of his frustrations.

As they passed by Hyde Park, a familiar figure in the distance caught his eye. The person's face was turned away from him, but he knew that outline anywhere. After all, he'd spent the better part of his mother's house party watching that figure, or searching for it when he wasn't in the same space as her.

Anticipation warred with excitement within him at finally being able to see her and talk to her in the flesh. The one-sided correspondence had been extremely tedious and was hardly recompense for the depth of longing he had for her.

Before he could think any better of it, he stopped his driver and leapt out of the carriage. Dashing across the busy road, he made his way to that spot. As he drew closer, he realised she wasn't alone, but with another man who looked close to Dover's age. Her face, turned to the side, was mostly hidden by her straw bonnet. One arm was linked through his and she was gesturing animatedly with her free hand. The man chuckled at what she was saying and covered the hand resting on his forearm with his own.

The affectionate gesture and warm scene stopped Garrett in his tracks, shaking him out of his delusion.

She was happily married and her husband obviously adored her.

Just yesterday, he had declared that he would court another woman.

There was nothing more for them to say to one another except the most simple of pleasantries.

He forced himself to breathe through the familiar ache in his chest. Yet this time it seemed stronger than usual, a weight on his chest he couldn't get past.

She turned her head then, and their eyes met.

It wasn't the familiar green eyes he saw in his dreams that stared back at him but a pair of dark brown ones, framed by features that weren't known to him.

He blinked. Surprise and relief flooded him. The stranger cocked her head slightly, a frown forming. He realised he was still staring at her and rearrange his features into a polite smile, quickly tipping his hat at her and her walking companion.

They returned the gesture before carrying on their way.

He made his way back to his carriage. There were so many thoughts and emotions vying for his attention that he felt like he might explode from whatever was going on within.

"My lord?" He realised then that he had been standing with a hand on the side of the vehicle and had not yet boarded.

He climbed in and knocked on the roof.

As the carriage lurched forward, he forced himself to lean back into his seat. Closing his eyes, he refocused his mind on the vibrations of the carriage as it moved, the sounds of horses' hooves striking the cobblestones, and the muffled shouts and bustle of the London streets.

It was fortunate he'd already decided to visit his boxing club today. It would be a good distraction from all that was going on in his head.