Chapter 15

The month of June arrived, bringing along with it slightly warmer temperatures. Garrett welcomed it, after the strangely cold second half of May. He took one of the geldings out on a morning ride around Hyde Park, the conversation of yesterday still turning about in his mind.

For him, it was a small matter to get an introduction to the older gentleman. Unlike Frederica. Yet, could he approach Lord Brackley and urge him to claim her as his daughter? Would the earl believe him or even Frederica for that matter? She professed to have proof, and he didn't doubt that. But would that proof be sufficient?

It was an endless series of questions he had in his mind but no answers for Lord Brackley was a blank sheet of paper to him. He possessed no point of reference to which he could gauge the man's reaction to what they wanted to do.

He vaguely wondered if Dover knew the man. Or at least have heard of him. He should write his brother-in-law and ask.

Cheered slightly at having a little bit of light and hope in this grim situation, he spied a lone figure in the distance atop a horse, clearly female from her deep blue riding habit and side saddle seat. It was not yet nine, and he wondered who else might be as insane as him to be up and about at this early by-London-standards hour.

He slowed down to a trot so that he wouldn't alarm the horse who was walking sedately as he passed by from behind. When he neared, he saw her glance over her shoulder at his approach and he realised who it was.

He drew up alongside her. "Good morning, Frederica! 'tis a pleasant surprise to see you riding so early in the morning."

"Oh, good morning, my lord." Her unenthused greeting did nothing to diminish his joy at seeing her unexpectedly.

"It's Garrett." Undeterred by the wariness in her eyes, he sent her the warmest of smiles. "We agreed. The night before last."

"I don't recall."

"The night or the conversation about this?"

"Neither, my lord."

His voice turned husky. "Shall I repeat what we did that night? It would be my absolute pleasure to do so, to worship you as you so deserve to be." And he was gratified to see her stony facade crack. Even if he had to kneel in front of the altar of Aphrodite for the rest of his life, he would gladly do so in exchange for his cold Galatea to come alive in his arms once again.

"No, there is no need." She spared him not a look.

They continued in silence saved for the stomp of the horses' hooves against the ground. "This reminds me of the race we had. The one you cheated in and won."

She rolled her eyes though a small smile had her lips curving. "I merely utilised the opportunity presented to me. As I recall, I never did collect that reward from you, did I?"

Garrett seized the inspiration that struck him. "I'd like to propose another competition. Here and now. A similar prize as before. A favour to be collected at any time."

"I already have one uncollected favour. I have no need for more."

"How about three then? Three favours of any sort to be collected at any time." At her hesitation, challenge intoned his words. "Are you giving up so soon, Frederica? Have you no confidence in winning?"

"I merely considering if you'd be able to pay for I'm certain I will win."

"Arrogant, are we?"

"It isn't arrogance-"

"If it is the truth," he laughed after he finished her sentence. "No truer words had I heard from you on the first day of the house party."

"You remember?"