Chapter 5

Ever since Harper left her home, she had no plan for her future. She just wants to be free and have fun without her very conservative family. When she met Hayden, she learned how to be more confident about her body. She learned how to not care about other's opinions. What mattered the most—she was happy. Yes, she's been happy. But now that she met Letha, she starts questioning herself if she's indeed happy. Because of her desperation to be happy forever, she fails to see that other people are hurting because of her happiness.

When did she notice it? At first, she thinks it's only a random day when she has to meet Letha at the construction site for the new hospital. She thought Letha would be a rich, stuck-up bitch but didn't. Her new boss could easily get along with her employees. The professionalism is still there, and Letha still makes people look up to her as their respective boss. They didn't leave the site until their boss was satisfied. There's no hint of judgment, insecurity, and anger from everyone as they talk with Letha. Their smile is genuine, and the way they joke around is proof that Letha Lee is a good boss and a good leader for everyone.

They keep doing the daily routine and will do the pictorial twice a week. They didn't argue and strictly remained professional not until Letha's best friend arrived, who made her lose her shit again. She was supposed to wait at Letha's place, but the one who opened the door for her was Alanis, Letha's best friend. Alanis looks like an expensive woman based on her branded clothes, and her perfume smells so expensive, too.

"Ah, you must be the assistant," Alanis smirks at her. Her judgemental gaze studies Harper from head to toes.

"And?" Harper's tone is the same as Alanis's.

Alanis looks amused. "Letha is still in the shower. Come in." She ignored Harper's tone. "I'm Alanis. Her best friend."

Like her first meeting with Letha, she doesn't like this woman. But she has to keep her temper. "She did mention you before."

"And she mentioned you, too. How is your girlfriend?" Alanis sounds like an overprotective older sister towards Letha.

Harper's eyebrows twitch. Mentioning Hayden would give her a foul mood. Hayden is doing community service, and there are always two police officers who will look after her and ensure she will do the appointed task. Because of that, she and her girlfriend will always argue. It's not her fault why she needs to do that, and Hayden should be glad she's no longer sleeping in prison. When also they first attended a mass gathering on Sunday afternoon, her girlfriend wanted to jump on the priest and Letha. She had to hold Hayden, she was acting like a child who was forced to attend a mass. Her damn girlfriend is always physically stronger than her, and she earned a bruised on her right arm when Hayden harshly grabbed her after they went back home.

"She's good," Harper grits her teeth.

Alanis sighs. "I've been watching the news, and Americans are going insane. I will be frank with you, Miss Harper. Letha has been shouldering tons of burdens, and this place might give her another problem because of you and your people. She left Denmark to keep her promise to her wife. Danish citizens who did the same-sex marriage are normal." She emphasized the last word. "Don't randomly ask people what are their pronounce. We were not mentally ill, and we know our birth gender, and we didn't lose our common sense of what is a penis and vagina." She rolls her eyes; disdain is written all over her face.

"This is called discrimination," Harper glared at Alanis.

Alanis laughs sarcastically. "Discrimination is different from speaking the truth. Why do Americans are afraid to face the basic logic of science and technology? And don't even know their own history?"

Harper already hates Alanis. And she is sure Alanis felt the same way about her. "I won't tolerate how you speak to me, you rotten bitch!" She steps closer to her. "What's so wrong if we ask your pronounce? It's a basic communication here!"