Crash Into Me Part 2

"Come on in! July? Is that you?" Beverly Reed's voice traveled through the front room from the kitchen

"Come on in! July? Is that you?" Beverly Reed's voice traveled through the front room from the kitchen. I opened the door and headed inside. Adrian's stepmother stood between the kitchen and living room, holding a dish towel. "July! I thought I saw you walking from next door. Why didn't you just go through the garage?"

Because we're not friends or neighbors, nor am I his girlfriend, and I'm shocked you know my name?

"Oh, I wasn't sure who was home, I just—Reagan asked me to pick up Adrian's assignment and—" I  stopped talking as Beverly looked at me oddly. Oh my God. She was just as shocked as I was that I had come here. What was happening?! Could this be more awkward?

"My, we have certainly slimmed down and filled out in all the places, haven't we? Goodness, you... are quite the head turner." She looked me over suspiciously. "Ahh, to be that tan. I used to get so dark in the summer. I loved it. I could wear anything."

"Ah, sorry. Forgive my attire, I was just headed to Prairie Pool for a lifeguard meeting when Reagan got in touch to send this over for their exam." It's just a stomach! Jesus, what was so surprising, the fact that mine was finally flat??? I felt stupid.

"Hey!" A male's voice broke up the weirdness. He was approaching from behind Beverly. I couldn't see who it was yet, but the voice was jovial and far too excited to see me to be Adrian's.

"What are you doing here?!"

Thank God it was his younger stepbrother, Samuel. He could take this stuff to Adrian, and I could be on my way.

"You look awesome! Don't tell me you're here for that loser!" Samuel motioned upstairs as he grabbed his cap and keys.

"Sam! Out! And, please, be careful. I want you back before your dad gets home or you won't take the truck again."

"Later!" Samuel smiled back at me as he bolted to the garage. He was a year and a half or two younger than us and much nicer to everyone in general than Adrian. And... now he was gone. Great. Beverly looked at me and shook her head.

"Learners permit. Be careful on the road when you see him coming." She opened the oven to check a casserole. Maybe she would just let me leave the notebook with her.