16 The French Mistake: Part 3

We pulled up to the Padalecki mansion in total awe. Then we walked in, and the house was just as beautiful on the inside as it was on the outside.

"Nice modest digs, Jay-Z," Dean joked.

Sam nodded. "Wow. I must be the star of this thing."

Dean nodded. "Yeah, right. Check it out." He nodded toward a tanning bed.

"What am I, Dracula?" Sam asked.

"Yeah, more like..." Dean approached the bed and opened it, exposing its immaculate condition. "George Hamilton Dracula." Then he pointed to a liquor cabinet. "Oh. Now we're talking." He quickly hurried over and looked through the bottles but was quickly distracted by something outside. "Dude, you have a camel in your backyard."

"It's an alpaca, dumbass," a familiar female voice said from somewhere in the house.

When we turned back, Ruby was standing on the balcony.

"Ruby?" Dean asked in shock.

Ruby rolled her eyes as she walked down the stairs. "'Ruby,' right. That one never gets old." She took a step toward Sam. "How was work today, hon?" She kissed him on the lips.

Dean and I gave each other an uncomfortable glance.

"Wait. You and Ruby?" Dean asked.

Ruby furrowed her brow at Dean. "Do you honestly think that's funny, Jensen?"

Dean paused for a moment. "Right. Right. 'cause you're not Ruby. You..." He looked at Sam for help, who just shrugged back. "I mean, how could you be? You... of course! You are the lovely actress who plays Ruby. And you are, uh, in... Jared's house... uh, because you two are..." He gestured to a wedding photo of Sam and Ruby on the fireplace mantle. "Married!"

A look of shock crossed Sam's face, and he quickly looked at the wedding photo.

Dean looked at Sam. "You married fake Ruby?"

Fake-Ruby shook her head and switched her attention to me. "What is she doing here?" She looked at Sam. "I thought we banned her from the house after what happened."

"Wha— What happened?" Sam asked awkwardly.

Fake-Ruby looked at him curiously. "She slapped you and called you—"

Sam nodded. "Uh, right, an oaf."

Fake-Ruby nodded. "An overgrown oaf... amongst other things." She gave me a look.

"Right, well, we made up," Sam said.

Fake-Ruby leaned in and whispered to Sam, trying to be discreet, even though I could still hear her. "Hon, what's going on? Just yesterday, you were telling me how awful she is— Is she blackmailing you?"

Sam pulled away from her. "What? No, no, we are fine. We're friends now... see?" he asked as he hugged me, and we awkwardly smiled at her.

Fake-Ruby looked at us suspiciously and then finally nodded. "Okay, well, what are you guys doing?"

Sam raised his eyebrows. "Work." He nodded. "Work."

"Yeah, just, uh, thought I'd pop in, say 'hey.'" Dean gave Fake-Ruby a friendly smile. "Hey." He looked at Sam. "Uh, and— and— and maybe run some lines. It's—"

Fake-Ruby shook her head. "You've never even been to our house."

Dean shrugged. "Well, now that I know there's an alpaca out back, I'm definitely coming back."

"Well, alpacas are the greenest animal," Fake-Ruby said.

Dean nodded. "Right. Right. That is so important."