Chapter 3: Bargaining

"Check this. Third branch from the left, twenty feet away, with my eyes closed."

"Okay, but if you miss you have to be my lab assistant for a week."

"And if I make it, you spend a week calling me "Big Sister""

"You're on."

While Uncle was gone, the kids had decided to entertain themselves with a little game of grab-that-thing-with-the-grappling-hook. They'd become so caught up in the game that they didn't notice the sun getting lower or the air getting colder. It wasn't until Mabel got a glimpse of the sunset through the trees that she realized that Uncle had been gone a long time.

"Say Dipper, how long would it take to find help around here?" They looked to the woods.

"Oh man, I didn't think of that," said Dipper, "It's been hours!" He started to get worried. "He might be lost out there, or hurt."

Just then, who should come tearing out of the forest but Gompers, panicked and bleating like all get-out.

"Whoa, whoa! Easy boy." The twins grabbed him and tried to calm him. Dipper looked the way he came, hoping to see Uncle Fiddle running up out of breath. But nothing. No one. Not good.

Mabel looked down the road. "What could have happened?" She asked. Dipper shrugged.

"I don't know. But at least he left a trail we can backtrack." They looked at each other and nodded. Then they gathered up the supplies from the wagon, lit a lantern, and climbed on top of Gompers together.

"Ready to head into the unknown?"
"Nope. Let's do it."

After an hour it was completely dark, and the two children were hoarse from calling out their Uncles' name over and over. A distant howl sent shivers up their backs, and Gompers fearfully trotted faster despite his exhaustion. Soon enough, they noticed lights through the trees and went towards them. Their eyes met with the sight of the castle.

"Wow..." they whispered together.

Inside the foyer, the three tools were locked in debate.

"How could you let this happen Wendy?" the duster asked the axe.

"I don't know Tambry, maybe I was distracted by the fact that you forgot to lock the doors again!" the axe snapped back at her.

"Um, guys..." the hammer started,

"CAN IT SOOS!" the girls yelled in unison. Then they heard the door creak.

"I think someone's coming." He whispered.

They all immediately stilled themselves. Acting inanimate, they squinted their eyes to see two children wander in. Three in one day: that had to be a new record.

"Look, tools!" Dipper exclaimed. "These could be useful." He went to pick up what he thought was a simple, green handled claw hammer.

"Yeah!" said Mabel picking up the axe. "Beware evil castle squatters! Ree ree ree!" They walked off. Behind them, Tambry the feather duster reached out and whimpered.

They wandered up and down the corridors, whispering for their guardian. A scuffling noise sent them in the direction of a staircase that led up a big prison tower. Upwards, they could see candles burning on little stands between the cells. It was still pretty dark though. Out of the darkness, someone ran into them.

"Uncle!' they exclaimed.

"Oh kids! Phew!" The man hugged them to his chest. "I picked my lock with my beard. Come now. Let's go before he gets back!"

"Before who gets back?" Dipper hissed, and was answered be a primal roar. Something very big was running up the stairs.

"WAAAH! Get behind me!" Uncle yelled as he scrambled in front of them. In the dim light of the candles, they could see a massive, gray, horned creature that looked like a cross between a bear and a lion, with a ragged maroon cloak hanging off it's shoulders.