Chapter 12: Healing

Things didn't resolve right away. The first thing the little foursome did after celebrating was plop down in front of the fireplace and fall asleep holding hands. They spent a lot of time sleeping together after that.

  Both Ford and Stan had to re-adjust to being human again. Stan had to deal with the sudden height difference and duller senses (he was still very strong for his age). Ford meanwhile, had gone so long without moving he couldn't walk on his own. Stan was only too happy to carry him around on his back.

  Soos wasted no time in proposing to Melody. They had a New Years' wedding. Likewise, Robbie and Tambry moved in together and were rarely seen without each other.

  Pacifica left for her own kingdom, promising to come back for a visit. She was greeted with much fanfare. Candy and Grenda opted to stay at the castle with Mabel.

  Gideon, as a form of apology, happily returned the rights to the Falls territory to Stan and Ford. They were coronated in a quiet personal ceremony. And their first decree was that Dipper and Mabel would be their heirs.

  As for Gompers and Waddles: They were content to share a stall in the stables, growing fat and happy in the hay. Mabel said they were her second-favorite couple.

  Months went by, and things settled by degrees. Ford slowly got his strength back in his arms and legs, and night by night, the foursome weaned themselves off of sleeping in the same bed all the time. They still enjoyed taking naps together whenever they could. Wendy had to remind them to keep a decent sleep schedule.

  Once Spring came around, Mabel, Dipper, Stan, Ford, Wendy, Soos, and Fiddle all went to the shack where they spent a month cleaning out all un-useable stuff and packing all of Fiddle's things to bring back to the castle for the new workshop. Stan also arranged for the damages to be repaired. The place looked so good once cleaned up, that the Falls Heads proclaimed it The Official Royal Summer Home.

  No one ever mentioned that Fiddle was the twins' legal guardian. It seemed unnecessary to bring it up. The three of them just melded into Stan and Fords' family. 

On the first of June, they packed up a basket, and headed out to the hills for a picnic. Ford hobbled part of the way on a cane, then Stan hoisted him on his back as they hiked up the hill. Once there, they got out the sweet buns and sausage rolls and chowed down. Dipper got out his new journal and started sketching. Mabel picked flowers to make into crowns.

"Soon as we can, we should buy a boat and go on a sea voyage." Stan declared in between bites of his roll.

"Totally!" said Dipper, "I've always wanted to see the coast."

"Are we gonna hire sailors?" Mabel asked eagerly, "Handsome swarthy ones?"

  Dipper scoffed; "I doubt we'd need them. Our grunkles can protect us just fine."

  Stan adjusted his flower crown. "Eh, I'm tough alright, but it's not like I'm a war hero."

"Are ya kidding?" Dipper gestured wildly, "You outsmarted a space demon, you spent years protecting your employees, you dove in front of us as a living shield!" He tiiped his drink to him. "That's straight-up hero stuff going on!"

  Ford gave a chuckle; "My brother the big hero. What an honor that is for me."

  Stan looked down and blushed. "Yeah, well... Yeah. But don't you two sell yourselves short. If it weren't for you's two, we would've lost all hope." He took each of their hands in his own. The four of them sat there, connected by love. "And I'll bet you'll become even bigger heroes in the future."