Chapter 1

3 months earlier...

Kath was on her break. Usually she spends her break time on her desk, chatting and talking with other interns, but today she decided to come up on the rooftop of her hospital building to enjoy her own company..

There's no doubt that Kath loves interacting with people, talking to them, and helping them. She was on her way to be a proper doctor ,  after all. Helping people is her job.

Kath equally loves her solitude as well. It's a serene feeling of being alone with her own thoughts and feelings. No one to disturb her, no need to carry out nonsense conversation. Just her and herself..

Although the sun was out in its full glory, the weather was still chilly. She clutched the jacket a little tighter. She was nursing a coffee on one hand and looking outward at the scenarios in front of her. There were buildings after buildings all big and tall, the sound of car honks, traffic, people all were busy with their own personal life. A typical New York City life..

"You seem all by yourself up here, Doc. !"  an almost familiar voice spoke up behind her.

With a frown, Kath turned back to look at the person who interrupted her private 'me time' , her eyes widened when she saw her. 

"I guess you really like being alone!"

That person; 'Sam', her name,  smiled at her which made Kath annoyed and the anger she felt that night came back. The audacity of this girl !! How dare she??

" You !! " ...

...

It was the 31st night, Irin dragged her to a bar where one of her friends was throwing a New Years party. Irin complained saying Kath didn't have any social life, all she did was study and her job as an intern. She even asked her when was the last time Kath went on a date! That was not a way to enjoy one's youth.. One should go out and meet new people.

But Kath wasn't interested in any of that. She and her ex girlfriend broke up almost two years ago. The breakup was mutual, well almost! Kath thought the relationship was affecting her studies and all so she took the initiative to break off the tie. It's not like she was in love with her or anything anyway. Also Her dreams are most important to her.

She also didn't like bars because she's never been a party girl. She's more like a nerdy one. 'A beautiful nerd' as Irin liked to call her. All Kath wanted to do for the night was to simply choose a novel from her ever growing shelf, sip hot chocolate and enjoy herself. But Irin was a stubborn mole, she was determined as hell to get Kath out of the apartment  and at the end Kath had to give in..

The party was on a roll.. They were at the bar and many of their familiar faces were present there. Kath was sitting at the bar. Irin kept her company as long as possible, then she went to socialize, actually to find herself a suitable person to kiss at midnight. Kath was not interested in all that crap, she didn't believe in the New Year's Midnight kiss theory. It's all made up to have someone to kiss at twelve am. In fact she was very bored with everything and really wanted to go home.

It was nearly 25 minutes until midnight and almost everyone was on the dance floor.. Only Kath was sitting on the bar, many people approached her in the meantime but she simply didn't find anybody interesting until..

"You seem all by yourself here, Doc. !"

Kath's head turned to her left where a girl sat, elbow leaning on the countertop, slender fingers dancing along the rim of her glass, mouth curled into an easy half-smile, and was looking at her.